Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:03:31 PM

Author Topic: NFW is not keeping the settings changes  (Read 5466 times)

NFW is not keeping the settings changes
« on: November 10, 2008, 05:35:11 PM »
Hello Ron, I Presume.
I've been having problems with NFW and the Mach Wizards,as they won't except the changes when tool or distance or # of holes are pressed. I had this problem yesterday,and tinkered around,and after a while found that I had to rename the Machine in the properties dialog box to get this to stick. See, I have Mach configured to 3 machines,and have had no problem running them all,One At A Time,and got the same problem today as well. Running Mach Ver.031 and loaded the newest Ver13~16 now ,and still the same problem. Renaming the General machine folder that Mach assigns itself ,works for a while,then resorts to changing,thus no saving of the settings in the Wizards when changed. I hope I have made this as readable as possible,and just don't know what to do to keep this from happening again. AS said; I never had this problem before,and cannot think of anything I did to provoke this kind of action. Maybe You Can Help.  Thanks,  Hank S.
Re: NFW is not keeping the settings changes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 05:43:55 PM »
It sounds like your xml file got turned to read-only. Mach saves lots of DRO and LED values into the xml. If you renamed the machine you created a new xml.

Saving the file and restoring it from a CD will make it read-only.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »
Hi,
So what does that mean. I clicked on the shortcut on the desktop for mach to open, but didn't open it and clicked on properties, thenit has 3 buttons one is general, one is shortcut,and one is capabilities. The tab in general is Mach3Mill, no spaces shortcut,C:\Mach3\Mach3.exe /p Mach3Mill. Capabilities is nothing.I changed in the general tab to  MachX2. and it works, close the tab out and close Mach alltogether, start up again, and the 3 are the same, except the wizards do not work. It still says MachX2, Do over again start MachX2,and open program,get ready to run,press wizards,wizards open, cannot do any changes..... Close MachX2, click on MachX2 on desktop,highlight,to properties,and is still General MachX2 shortcut the same, open MachX2,and wizards still do not work, Back to desktop,click properties,same MachX2 change to MachMill close, open Machmill start program, Wizards work. till next shutdown, then have to rename it again to MachX2 to get it to work again. Every other time i shut down Mach,Ihave to rename the general with a different MachX2 or machMill to get the wizards to work. Hope this Helps in Explaining this problem. Thanks,   Hank S.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 07:26:23 PM »
The name on the General tab is simply the name shown under the icon on the desktop. It means nothing to running mach, its just a name.

The Shortcut line called Target is the important one- it should be something like C:\Mach3\Mach3.exe /p Mach3Mill

The first part is the name of the program to run, its always C:\Mach3\Mach3.exe  Dont try to change this.

The last part /p Mach3Mill  is the name of the profile this icon will use to startup. It must be the same as your xml file, so if it says Mach3Mill then mach will try to open Mach3Mill.xml for the profile data. If it does not find a file by that name then it creates a new .xml file by whatever name you called the profile.

Find your profile file, probably Mach3Mill.xml. Right click and look at properties. Near the bottom of the general tab there are a couple boxes for READ ONLY. If this is checked your xml cannot be altered, hence Mach cannot save your settings.

It is highly recommended that you create your own profile and icon- in my case I have the icon named JetMill and my profile is JetMill.xml That way a new install of Mach will never alter any of my settings.

This is all very well covered, with illustrations in the new Install doc. see http://www.machsupport.com/docs/Mach3Mill_Install_Config.pdf

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:28:25 PM by Ron Ginger »
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 07:35:32 PM »
Another possibility- each wizard has a file where its own settings are saved. For the newfangled wizards its full name is C:\Mach3\Addons\Newfangled\newfangled.set.def

If this file, or any of the folders above it are Read Only you will not be able to write to it.

Did you recently restore your files from a CD? If so then any of the folders could now be set read only.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:25:42 AM »
Hi Ron,
I took your advise and looked at the documents pdf on Mach,and got some Good References for the program. Whom ever wrote this DOC. should be Commended For aGreat Job,Along with the Time spent for writing such a Useful DOC. Many Many Thanks. Back to the problem at hand,I did reload Mach and I did discover that something else is Not Playing well with mach,or the other Machines, or files from the other Machines . I got it to SAVE, and the NFW and Mach wizards do now in fact Work! I'm gunna keep an eye pealed, for I know I did not change anything, Just shut down as usual from a previous run like always,and something went HayWire! Why would that in fact keep the NFW and Mach wizards from making changes. This has me puzzled,as said, never in the last year or so that this Ver.of Mach,did I find a problem. Program runs now and wizards work as should,I did nothing but reinstall Mach, over the one that Ihad been having problems with,and all is WELL. Thanks for your Time and Effort and Support, Till I have a problem again,Let's just wait and see, Should be a Long Time,Hopefully.   Thanks,   Hank S.