Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 01:17:31 PM

Author Topic: Spindle Speed Troubles  (Read 17567 times)

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle Speed Troubles
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 06:15:02 AM »
Hi All
Ive taken the photos of the machine but cant seem to post them. Ever time I go to -post them the forum comes back with sorry that topic used or something?. I cant get the Pics on.
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 06:46:38 AM »
Sounds like you need to rename them as there has already been a pic posted with the same name.
Hood

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 07:03:55 AM »
Ok Pic F1k front view, R1k rear view, G1k Gantry, Cbk Control Box note the bottle is not part of the CNC but used by the operating parrameter.
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 07:06:25 AM »
Just a couple of more pics
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 07:29:02 AM »
Looks an impressive machine and very nicely put together, great to see neat wiring  it shows a lot of thought has gone into it :)
You better watch you dont get too close to the dust extraction ;D

Hood
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 10:10:40 AM »
G'Day Ray
Just as Peter describes setting up the spindle speed is spot on. Jimpinder sets it Exactly the same.
what I did I set The the steps in the motor tuning tab (spindle) to 1000 and then used Max velocity The step size I left at 2us and Dir at 2us which is recommended to run your Geckos. I found if you change it in one area Say spindle it will change them in all of them Xaxis, Yaxis Etc. So I left them at 2 for each Step and Direction.
Next Go to pulleys set it at your max speed ( I Dint Know your Set Up So Ill Speak For Mine Only) in my case 14700 min 0 the ratio 1.
Through mach I set spindle speed max (MDI Area) type s14700 <enter> then type M3 spindle enabled speed at max. I went to the Digispeed and measured the voltage coming out, I adjusted the "adjuster Have a mind blank cant think of The name of it" on the digispeed itself to give me 10v. Then went back to mach and set speed at S7350 exactly 1/2 went back and measured the voltage it was around 9v. Then went to motor tuning Spindle and decreased the Velocity only. 1st try was around1/2 velocity went back and checked what the voltage was it was about 4.6 set at 7350 via mach. getting close.
Do you get the drift just kept going back and forth only changing the velocity setting in the motor tuning till I got 5v at 1/2 speed 7350 and 10v at max speed 14700. then did a check went from 1470 speed gave me 1v, 2940 speed gave me 2v and so on till I got to max speed.
Took me about 6 goes but all I changed was velocity in motor tuning spindle that's all. (in my case for a router spindle speed +/- 10% is nothing but I got it down to nearly exact.

That's pretty much what I went through on mine.  The only added confusion was I have a SmoothStepper.  It first took a while to realize the step pulsewidth timing in Mach3 had no effect, and then a bit to find a good pulsewidth setting in SS config.  The tuning can actually be done with either the pulsewidth or the steps/unit, since both have a similar effect (the C11 is basically integrating the pulses, so either more pulses, or wider pulses will have the same effect).  Once I got the pulsewidth into a reasonable range, and understood how the C11 and the SS worked, it was not terribly difficult to get the result I wanted.  The only problem now is some days it does not work correctly on power-up, and seems to need some time to settle down and start operation correctly.  That I still need to sort out.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 05:03:31 PM »
Hi Ray
Just one thing I have noticed with mach, I have also found sometimes if you type in M3 or M4 Or M5 it wont recognise it and comes back with an error. All I do is shut down Mach and restart it and it works fine, Don't Know why. I Haven't tried it yet but I'm going to see if theres a difference in starting Mach First and then powering up the CNC or doing it Vice Verse. Could Be interesting to see.
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »
Hi Ray
Just one thing I have noticed with mach, I have also found sometimes if you type in M3 or M4 Or M5 it wont recognise it and comes back with an error. All I do is shut down Mach and restart it and it works fine, Don't Know why. I Haven't tried it yet but I'm going to see if theres a difference in starting Mach First and then powering up the CNC or doing it Vice Verse. Could Be interesting to see.

I've seen more than my share of "quirks" in Mach, but that's a new one by me!

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 09:41:09 PM »
G'Day Ray
I just tried a few things and found something interesting. If I switch the power off to the computer and then switch on (doesn't matter if the CNC is powered on or off, load mach, go to MDI screen and type s1000 it comes back with line 2 - unspecified error down the bottom will show syntax error, on the spindle speed it will put in 1000, if you click on spindle start the spindle will start. stop the spindle and type m3 nothing happens or type m4 still nothing. So what I have to do then is close mach shutdown windows and restart load mach and everthing is fine.
You could be experiencing the same problem without knowing it because it doesn't seem to do it all the time. were you load mach run your code and the spindle does stupid things. try before you run any code just starting and stopping the spindle using m3 or m4 command and see what happens. if you get the same thing it must be a computing/program problem.
As I said earlier it wont do it all the time, when I tested then it did it 4 times in a row before I got it to work properly.
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 11:29:09 PM »
That's completely different from the problem I've had.  M3/M4/M5 always work correctly.  The only problem is occasionally first thing in the AM the speed is off.  Just let it run, and it will settle down to the correct speed.  I'm pretty sure it's a analog flaky in the BOB.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.