Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:38:25 PM

Author Topic: Bugs in Mach 3.42.015  (Read 33828 times)

Re: Bugs in Mach 3.42.015
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 07:52:51 PM »
Brian,  (actually, this is the first part of my message - Had wrong file types and could not upload - Attached is the tap file)

Okay, you shamed me into it.  Will attach the code and (hopefull) screen shots from version 3.041 and 3.042.015 for your review.

Same code was used in both examples.  Native units were set to "Inches,"  Tools used were T30 - .020 engraving tip, and T14 - .125 center cutting end mill.

Note the program limits in 3.042.015 are X - 136.0905 and Y - 10.8570 - In version 3.041 the limits are X - 10.8942 and Y -5.2502.  The part was cut properly using version 3.041.  I was unable to cut it with version 3.042.015

Actually, I was afraid I was becoming a pest and had decided to leave well enough alone.  But, I really do appreciate your looking at the problem.
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 07:58:06 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for the code to test with!!! Now to see if I can find the trouble ;)
Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008, 08:01:53 PM »
I see the same trouble on my machine :) I don't give this bug the night to live !

Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 09:14:14 PM »
Helo Bob.. as far as I can tell I have fixed the problem..

Thanks for the file to test with!

Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 08:11:03 AM »

4. One job I'm running is 0.25" in size with features as small as 0.005" the next job is 12" in size with very few small features. I find CV dist tolerance to be a nice feature but an appropriate distance is different if you part is large or small.

If you are going to be doing parts like that you NEED to have more steps per unit..

I don't understand your response. Maybe I was confusing by stating lengths in inches. I have 800steps/mm. I can't change that its based on my motor and screw. I have (400steps/rev * 10micro steps)/(5mm/rev) = 800steps/mm. My machine moves the correct distance, when I say go 10mm and I measure it with an indicator it goes 10mm. The only way I can increase my steps per is to use inches which would be 20320 steps/inch, this does resolve the SetMachZero() issue but now the scale of the unit is to big for my part. Millimeters makes more sense for the scale of the majority of my work. I have no problems machining micro parts at the resolution I have. I don't understand how having more steps would help me fix the scaling issues of CV values. Meaning CV values should be bigger on bigger parts IMO. Having to close and open mach to change that and get it to save properly is silly. I guess the real issue is whats the trouble with saving to the XML and having mach reinitialize it during a session?

Brian

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2008, 08:15:11 AM »
Set up two profiles, one for big parts one for small.
Hood
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2008, 08:25:09 AM »
A very logical alternative Hood.
IMO anyway.
RC
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2008, 08:45:19 AM »
Hellp Brian,
I am not going to go into to much depth on this as it Will make everyone go to sleep :) ...
CV Is not a simple connect both lines, It will run as many as 1000 lines at the same time to make the moves go at the programed feedrate. The smaller the moves (less steps) the less it can blend the move smoothly. The more steps (resolution) the smoother the operation will be.

I don't understand why you are running inch files in MM mode but it is your machine and you can do what you like :) I like to keep the scaling and so on in the Cam system and keep the machine with the same settings (this is how it is done in 99.99% of installations).  As for not backing up your settings in the XML, All I can tell you is that the program was never designed to operate in the manner that you are asking it to.. Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com

vmax549

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2008, 09:50:16 AM »
LEts try this this way.   IF you have 800rev/mm then the smallest move you can make would be 1 step and that would be .00125mm. When Mach initializes itself or you home then it sets itself to zero internally. Then it has to track the internal position reguardless of where the user corrd are. IF you ask Mach to zero at a certain point AND that would mean mach had to recalculate where that zero would put it internally. IF that position fell in between the smallest move(.00125 then mach has to make a desision to resolve itself either 1 step above that point or 1 step below that point. NO other way out. NOW Mach will as soon as you move, MACH will bring itself back into 100% position within the smallest step. YOU do not loose that in between amount.

NOW that said your .00125mm step  equals about .00004" IT takes a very accurate and expensive machine to work in that resolution. Are you sure your machine is capable of that??? IF so then you need to regear your drive to provide a step size smaller than the .00125mm .

When you home Mach resetts the internal zero so steps do NOT come into play(;-).

(;-) TP

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 11:05:35 AM by vmax549 »
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »
I'm not running inch parts in MM sorry for the confusion. EVERYTHING I DO IS IN MILLIMETERS. My machine is mechanically plenty capable of making 0.0013mm moves. Electronically thats another issue. Micro steps aren't uniform unfortunately. Eventually I'll need some scales/encoders on my machine, but for now it does a good job as it is. I've attached an image so you can better understand my work. Sometimes I do run bigger parts. Something the size of a golf club or motorcycle grip. The CV dist tol for tiny parts and for big parts should not be that same for optimum performance of the velocity of the machine. I need to change this setting on the fly reliably and I can't. Mach doesn't seem to want to , at least not reliably. My motors are direct coupled using gearing creates a whole nother set of issues we won't go into and I'm not buying new ballscrews. I guess my only solution is to up my microsteps, this seems silly.

I can home to my switches and it forces the Machine Coord DRO's to zero, why can't the button do the same thing. I don't get it. I've attached some parts I machined so you can understand the size of most of my work.

Brian
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 10:34:51 AM by swarfboy »