Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:44:30 AM

Author Topic: Bugs in Mach 3.42.015  (Read 33824 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs in Mach 3.42.015
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2008, 11:33:38 AM »
Ray
 Dont think runaway can happen on the servos I use, they are AC so need the voltage in the correct sequence, if the encoders are faulty and the drive tries to correct then it will fault out after 20 counts or 20ms I think. Having said that I have limits which disable the drives and mach if they are hit, on a lathe this can still cause serious damage as it is impossible to use limits to stop collisions as tools can be sticking out all over the place especially in my case with both front and rear toolpost/turret. It will however stop a turret or toolpost slamming into the chuck on the Z axis or the opposite extent of both X nd Z.

Hood

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2008, 05:13:12 AM »
Excellent info!

Having the switch in the middle of the table seems like the perfect solution for homing. Presumably you would have to make sure you were on the correct side of the switch before homing? And I also presume you then could not use the same switch for both homing and limits if the switch were in the middle of the table, so you're back to multiple switches and associated wiring, yes?

That still leaves the issue of machine protection. In my scenareo with the 4th axis rig, wouldn't it still be wise to have a physical switch positioned to stop the travel before the spindle hit the 4th axis chuck if something went awry?

I like the idea of sliding swithces and/or moveable slotted triggers. That would make it very easy to position a limit switch for example. . when the 4th axis rig is set up on the table.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2008, 05:23:00 AM »
Yes you need to make sure you hit from the right side when homing but as I mentioned above my servo drives automatically do that. Example if you have your switch mid axis then from that point on in one direction it is constantly activated. When I press my Ref All button the drive looks at the homing switch, if its active it says to itself I have to back off first so the switch becomes inactive and then I will reverse and start the actual homing. That should be relatively easy to do in VB as well.

My Lathe has sliding limits on the Z axis but to be honest I find it more of a hassle than it is worth but maybe thats just me.

Hood

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2008, 08:54:28 AM »
I was wondering how you would get mid travel homing switches to work and was about to ask the same question.
If you have a movable limit switch could you have a VB button that moved that axis through the full travel after homing to find the switch positions and then put that into the soft limits?
It would be a bit of a pain on a large machine though having to set this everytime you restarted with a different limit position.

Steve

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2008, 10:29:47 AM »
Keeping in mind that I'm a newbee, and this may not be a great idea, it goes like this;

Take a situation of a machine that has two basic setups that are vastly different; one is normal full table travel for general work and one has a 4th axis rig that takes up almost half of the table (of a baby mill).

My combination homing/limit switches are on a phono jack that just plugs into my CNC controller box. I think it would be a simple matter to add another switch in a position appropriate for the 4th axis work envelope, chain those together on a separate plug and have a second XML file for 4th axis projects. The xml could have the approproate limits for the 4th axis envelope and any other changes that may benafit that type of work.

So as a part of the 4th axis setup, I simply put the rig on the table, plug in the appropriate limit/homing switch chain into the CNC controller and start Mach with the 4th axis XML. Now I have fast homing and limits appropriate for the 4th axis envelope.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like a very usefull proceedure.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2008, 02:57:54 PM »
Simpson, yes that seems like a reasonable idea, just as long as you remember the right profile and plug ;)
Hood
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »
If you had the necessary amount of input pins available, (looks like you only need 1 for the additional X axis switch), could you not just wire them all up and then each Profile would ignore the switches that don't apply ?
Sounds like a plan Simpson,
RC
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
The bugs that started this thread have been fixed in ver020. Yay! Thank you.
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
 Hello anyone. After install  Mach 3.42.015  , I  tested  several models they came out so far so good for me but i had to set lower speed in Z axis .I hope it is stable for now.                                           Nathan.