Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:11:51 AM

Author Topic: which Breakout Board  (Read 7931 times)

which Breakout Board
« on: June 23, 2006, 06:28:05 PM »
I converted Dyna 2800 and run it from Mach3, i didn't use Geko drives just reconnected Dyna original drivers. In general it obeys, but sometimes throw out flukes (missing steps, not good arc cutting, loosing direction in manual jogging, etc.). After reading posts on this forum it looks like I need breakout board to start with.
Can you please recommend which model to go for.
Thank you
Re: which Breakout Board
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 10:03:31 PM »
Try running it in sherline mode (under the ports and Pins settings)
 I think it will run a bit better after that...  ;D
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 06:44:08 AM »
Hi Brian
It was already in sherline mode.
 it cuts rectangular pockets just fine (from wizard), but lose on X when I try to cut Circular Pocket (from wizard), say if I cut 12mm deep circut  in 4mm step depth, then on the right side of the pocket I'll see two steps, mill will lose on X a bit every time it climes down in step depth.
Steppers are also sound unhealthy when mill going in arch cutting.
Also when I jog up in Z, sometimes when UP courser is pressed, the mill will go down, but DRO will read if it is going UP, and this movement down will be at the speed much higher then set up jogging speed.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 07:54:17 AM »
I have set up the drives in the past and got them to work :(  One problem that I have had on DynaMite 2800 is the plastic gears break... This is not from stripping the teeth off but a crack that will develop over time (even if you are not running the mill). So if you could please check the gear and be sure there are no problems.

I use the following breakout boards:

http://www.pmdx.com/
and
http://www.campbelldesigns.com/

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 04:50:04 PM »
I checked shafts and motors coupling, they are as far as I understand not plastic gears break, they look like rubber ribbons.

All accesses (can't check Z, but X and Y definitely) suffer from the same problem - when I run every axes separately under a clock (for example I run 100 times G00 X-20  X20 ) everything if fine, steppers sound good, and clock shows no steps lost, however when I run cutting moves G01 X-20 X20 things are going wrong, motors sound very doggy when axes changes direction and steps are lost, it works better when Feed rates are higher getting worse at lower feed rates.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 05:09:25 PM »
Could you please do a driver test and see if there are large spikes on the graph.

Thank you
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 07:59:08 AM »
I think spikes are fine.

After changing some things in motor turning I narrow down to the fact that steppers are not working properly only in arc mode, say in G02, when stepper comes to the point it needs to go in reverse, this is when it goes wrong. I disconnected steppers from drives and it is clearly visible that when in G02 it comes to the point for the axes to change direction it gets jumpy.

In G01 it works fine.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 08:41:14 AM »
Do you have the backlash on? If so turn it off and see if that fixes it.

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 08:42:40 AM »
No experience with this setup, but you might want to check the power supply if it seems to be having problems with multi axis moves and is ok with single axis moves.

Pete C.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 09:22:28 AM »
Hi Pete
I don't think it is power supply, I tried to run G02 with one motor disconnected completely (for example disconnected X, while Y is still connected), it is the same story.