Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:13:01 PM

Author Topic: Setting up Steps per inch - Need Clarification  (Read 16804 times)

Re: Setting up Steps per inch - Need Clarification
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 03:03:27 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone...  that seems to do the trick.

10,000 is 1 inch on the nose.

Is there a reason why after the steps per inch are saved ( in this case 10,000) Mach would default back to 2000 when the application is started again?

Have done it several times and am confident that I am saving each axis.

Pete

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 03:10:07 PM »
Make sure your xml is not read only, shouldnt be but can happen if you transfer the xml from a CD.
If thats not the case then try the Save Config option from the config menu.
Hood
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 03:28:58 PM »
Thanks Hood!

Took a look at the XML file and it doesn't seem to be read only in the properties tab. I'll be sure to select save settings ( near the bottom) from the configuration drop down menu, when I set this up again.

Pete

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Yep thats the one, save settings, not save config, been a while since I looked :(
Hood
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »
Remember, when a screw has a spec of .004" per foot it means the real accuracy is LESS than that amount. If it was more it would be out of spec and presumably the manufacturer would not ship it.

I am curious what instrument you have in a shop that can measure to an accuracy of .004 per foot? maybe a 10" micrometer? How would you set it up to make a table movement measurement?

My point is guys get all hung up over screw accuracy, when lots of other factors have as big, or bigger influence.

The 'calculate steps per in' button was added because so many people seem unable to understand the math involved in the calculation.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 09:13:24 PM »
r

I am curious what instrument you have in a shop that can measure to an accuracy of .004 per foot? maybe a 10" micrometer? How would you set it up to make a table movement measurement?

Engineers use slip gauges for things like that with a dti. I could easy do 10" with my gauges. ;D

Phil_H
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 10:06:40 PM »
Ron,
I use either a jig transit, alignment telescope, optical level, which can focus as close as 7"  ( 20x  and better) from the target or out to infinity. The instruments use an optical micrometer and give direct repeatable readout down to .0002" inches at 12". Perpendicularity to the bed axis is done using autoreflection techniques. Mirrors used are optically flat.The target is a "calibrated" scale which when profiled / calibrated for each spacing have a very accurate profile. Thus i can easily see backlash immediately and measure it or even profile a ball screw. For that matter you can measure spindle run out. On a lathe you can check the carriage travel relationship to the spindle or set a very precise angle.......and on and on. But being practical about things you are absolutely right and sometimes we are happy the stuff just bolts together when done.
Could probably measure a hair from your head 20 to 50 feet away and i am just an amateur. This stuff is not cheap....the receipt for the Kolmorgan alignment telescope when bought 15 years ago was $14.5K, no i won't tell you what i paid for it!
I thought everybody had stuff like this.  ???
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2004, 08:13:25 AM »
Could probably measure a hair from your head 20 to 50 feet away and i am just an amateur.

Must be a really good tool if you could do that for a hair on my head ;D

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 06:35:10 AM »
When man was made, God put hair on only on the ugly ones, a few didn't get any !;D ;D ;) ;D
RICH