Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:47:43 PM

Author Topic: No output from parallel port  (Read 9427 times)

No output from parallel port
« on: September 26, 2008, 10:03:20 AM »
My machine was working fine until I lost an output on my breakout board. I changed a chip on the board and now I cannot get anything to work. I ran a driver test which went through the process and I got nothing on the window. I reinstalled Mach 3 and rebooted. I then ran the driver test and everything looked good but I still have no output to the board. I have no outputs or inputs. I ran the driver test and got the same thing as before, nothing on the window. I had this problem when I started up my computer after updating to a new motherboard, and harddrive but somehow it started working. It seems as if the parallel port is not working. I looked in the device manager and it says it is working properly. Any suggestions?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: No output from parallel port
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 10:42:15 AM »
Presume you have the correct address set for it? Have you checked with a voltmeter that the port is putting out signals?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 11:46:06 AM »
Yes, there are no outputs.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:40:48 PM »
No - you are confusing the question - is there any output from your parallel port socket. If your breakout board in defective, then you cannot test at the breaout board. What you need to do is disconnect your cable from the breakout board, and check the signals on the plug pins. See if there is any signal at these.

The easiest to check are the dir pins - which should change from 0v to 5v (or vica versa ) onchange of direction. There various output pins can be checked as well by putting out M3 M4 signals on the variou pins, and the input pins can be shorted to the 0v signal return lines - and will show up on the diagnostic page.

If you have signals on your plug, then you still have a fault on the breakout board.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 01:29:24 PM »
I understand what you are saying. I turned on the spindle output. Mach3 turned on the output. I have a blackbox breakout box connected. The spindle is pin 14. There is no output from the pc.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »
Not sure if your previous Yes was meaning you have checked that the port address is set up correctly?
 Do the DROs move when you Jog? Have you got the OffLine button active?

Hood
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 02:59:02 PM »
DROs show movement. I do not get any inputs from limit switches either. I have reinstalled driver as outlined in Mach3 manual but the device manager driver tab shows LPT1 as ECP printer port provided by Microsoft. When I run a driver test it looks good. It seems as if the driver is not being assigned to LPT1. Does that make sense to you?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 03:09:36 PM »
Please attach your xml for the profile you are using, also please look in device manager and see what the port address is.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 03:52:55 PM »
Port settings LPT1
I/O range 0378 - 037F
              0778 - 077B
IRQ 07
DMA 03

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 03:53:51 PM »
Here is xml