Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:36:44 AM

Author Topic: Extra Spindles Plug in........  (Read 30594 times)

Re: Extra Spindles Plug in........
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 11:30:37 PM »
Hi Scott,
If I understand this correctly, this would also work on a mill/router where I have an auxiliary spindle attached to the same z as the first spindle. What this plugin would do is allow me to control the 0-10v for a second VFD while not running the first VFD for the primary spindle. All this could be done without having to swap wires every time I wanted to use the auxiliary spindle.

Is this just for the p-port or will it work on external motion controllers such as the smoothstepper?

We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 07:12:54 AM »
OK, I understand.  Thanks for your reply.  I think I read Mach3 allows control of several relays.  Do you think it's feasable to switch control of Z axis via these relays?  Or are there better ways of selecting them?  I guess what I really need for now is to know whether or not I have a convenient way to get use out of 3 spindles using Mach3, similar to the way the CaMaster Cobra does.  Or would that not be in the cards?  Thanks.

You can use the SwapAxis function to switch between different Z axis'.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 07:18:54 PM »
Thanks Gerry.  With that in mind, and since my project is in early enough development stage, I think I will brainstorm some about including that feature.

Mike

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 07:25:23 PM »
From what I've heard, the next version of mach3 (ver 4) is supposed to have better support for multiple Z axis'. Not sure what that will be, though.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 12:59:23 PM »
you can control a total of 3 spindles with the plugin, (all three over the modbus), spindle 1, is the official one with mach3, that you can do threading on, with a indexer coming in to a PP or external motion card.

the spindles 2 and if applicable 3, have to be 0-10v analog speed control, you have options on several General digital IO, and 2 analog feed backs as well, one for true speed, and one for SS OVR of that spindle.

the custom macros are there to have independant control over spindle two and three (and one).

the plugin  has NOTHING to do with the Z at all, only your spindles, like if you want to run a multi head router, or multispindle lathe (ie. drop spindle, live tooling).

BUT, it is for Serial or TCP over modbus control only!!!!!!!!

scott
fun times
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 05:55:25 PM »
I have a cilyndrical grinder prototype, I am interested on a second spindle.
I want to know if it can work with Machmill and which are the best serial Modbus to use with it.
We set up under Machmill because our operators are used to work with mills so they identify X and Y better than Z and X.
Besides, MasterCam generates Gcode for complex profiles, and they work under Machmill.
Thanks

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 02:59:59 AM »
Yes, cheapest solution would be to buy:
1). M1/M12 from CNC4PC,
OR
2). Peter Holmans ModIO board, both put out Analog, Peters is higher resolution than the M1/M12 option.
OR
3). a Pokeys puts out 10 bit res anlog.

any three of the solutions would work for you.

the top two you could use the Extra Spindles plugin which was written before the pokeys came out.

Note the pokeys has up to two different extra ways to send out a signal, for a spindle (but it would be tied to your Mach spindle speed), it has a PWM pin and/or an analog pin for Spindle.

The Plugin how ever using the two listed above (Number 1 or 2.), you can set Independant spindle speeds for spindles 2 and 3.

scott

You will need to use serial Plugin Modbus for the M1/M12, or Old Serial Modbus for Petes boards
fun times
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 02:07:48 AM »
Hello all, brand new here. I am retrofitting a lathe and would like to do polygon turning with a second spindle. It would have to be run at an exact rpm ratio to the main spindle dependent on the number of flats and number of cutters on the 2nd spindle. Typical 1:1, 2:1 etc. Is this possible with your add on?,

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 03:31:18 AM »
yes, set the speeds in the seconday spindle macros
fun times