Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:30:21 AM

Author Topic: Knee Mill Coolant Containment  (Read 21487 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Knee Mill Coolant Containment
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 06:00:30 PM »
Might just do that Rich, my pal works for a company that does that type of work so I will see what he thinks.
Hood
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 07:52:20 PM »
Hood,

I would use 16 gage or 18 gage. All my corners have a 1 inch 90 degree bend. If you want, I could post more pics.
 the end panels held in place with 2 latches, remove for cleaning out .No tools required. :D

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 04:33:24 AM »
More pics would be good Ed, mine is going to have a slide out tray at the bottom for cleaning the chips out but I also need it to be removable at the side as my workshop space is limited. If I dont do that I will either have to climb over the top of the mill or crawl under it if I need access to the right hand side cabinet that has the hydraulics.
 Heres a pic of what I a thinking so far, the screen will slide along the front.

Hood
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 01:57:15 PM »
Hood,
  Looks good, almost like mine. I'll take some pics and post.

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »
Looks like we have a solidworks user among us. How versed are you with it? You do know that now you have placed yourself as "tech support" for me. (unpaid, but grateful  ;D ) I've used quiet a lot of 3d packages, and SW is the "dogs dangly bits" as someone would say.  :D . I've fabricated a few miles of ducting in my time, and cross-breaking that large of a sheet would definitely help. You should also notice a sound improvement too, if the chips hitting it bong it like a drum.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 05:01:36 PM »
Hood,
  Looks good, almost like mine. I'll take some pics and post.

Ed

Well I suppose the shape of a knee mill dictates the shape of the enclosure, was thinking of just a square box but that would deprive me of storage space (the floor) and unfortunately thats about the only place I have for storage :(   And if you dont believe me heres a couple of pics, and this is after three weekends of tidying ;D

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 05:11:49 PM »
Looks like we have a solidworks user among us. How versed are you with it? You do know that now you have placed yourself as "tech support" for me. (unpaid, but grateful  ;D ) I've used quiet a lot of 3d packages, and SW is the "dogs dangly bits" as someone would say.  :D . I've fabricated a few miles of ducting in my time, and cross-breaking that large of a sheet would definitely help. You should also notice a sound improvement too, if the chips hitting it bong it like a drum.

Sam it is my pal that is an expert with all things SW and AutoCAD but then again that is his job as he is a designer in a sheet metal/ducting  place.

I was working on some stainless welding on a boat thats getting built out the back of my workshop today and that gave me an idea , it is  GRP and there is a place in my home town that makes the stuff ( http://www.scomp.co.uk/ ) and so on Monday I will give them a call and see what kind of cost it is for some 6mm thick sheets.
Hood
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 12:34:00 AM »
Hood,

Looks like you need a bigger shop. ;D  But no matter how big, it's never big enough.

Here's some pics of my mill containment.
Have room under for shop vac and 5 gal pails  .Ends come off for cleaning.
Only thing I don't like is you have to remove it all to do any machine repairs.
Its all screwed together with stainless 10-32 button heads.
Window frames are made from 1/2" alum plate with 1/4 recess for plexiglass.

Ed
Ed VanEss
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 12:37:30 AM »
Shop pics, saws, grinders, drill press in other room.
The yellow thing is the trans for my tow motor I'm redoing.

Ed
Ed VanEss
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 12:46:10 AM »
Made these today .free spinning wheel inserts for tow motor. 12" diameter 3/4 " thick.
Programed manualy. 1 pocket. rotate 6 x and mirror.  WHAT? To much time on my hands.
 Hey, I'm retired. It's suppose to be this way.  ;D
Ed VanEss