Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:20:48 AM

Author Topic: New Vortech Router jerky movement.  (Read 13320 times)

New Vortech Router jerky movement.
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:48:06 PM »
Hello all,
I am Erik in Albuquerque, New Mexico. We have just set up a new Vortech 5' X 10' stepper controlled router using machIII controller and the latest version of ArtCam. We are able to 2.5D straight lines & circle/arc toolpaths perfectly using the ArtCam post {machIII arc (inch)} however when attempting to do 3D toolpaths, the movement in X & Y is jerky and leaves tool marks in the material. It appears that the machine is pausing between each line of code. I have tried changing the ramping speeds for the steppers, but when it is slow enough to have some effect on the problem, my machine times (time to do the job) get way out there. (loosing money). Is there any way to string the code together so the tool runs smoothly? Is this a switch in Mach? Config is set to absolute for lines & incremental for arcs. Also where do I set the rapid (out of material) speeds? Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Erik

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: New Vortech Router jerky movement.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 05:52:56 PM »
Run the machine in CV mode and see if that helps, you can do this by going to the MDI line and typing in G64, also make sure there are no G61 in your code as that will just switch Exact Stop back on.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 04:49:56 PM »
Tried CV mode, no joy. Could it be the accel & deccel rates for the steppers? Somehow I don't think this is the whole problem.

Erik

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 05:40:18 PM »
Can you attach a sample of the code that gives you problems?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 09:56:37 AM »
I will try to do so. I have to break the code  out of the job file as all I have with me are ArtCam files which are composite files. I will do that today & send it to you tomorrow or Monday.
Thanks for your help.
Erik

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 01:21:51 PM »
I'm getting the same problems with my 3d files. anything that requires x and y movement together results in grooves in the profile. It's more noticeable the higher the speed. They aren't random either. I was cutting an angled curved wall with a .005 overlap and there was noticeable grooves running down the wall at an angle. It seems like the slower the feed rate the less angle on the grooves. I'm cutting another part with a slower feed rate and the grooves are running straight up and down.

I'm running servos by the way.

Derek

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 01:33:26 PM »
Hey Eric I don't mean to hijack your thread but I think we're suffering the same type of problem.
Here's a pic I just shot of the area I'm talking about. This was cut with a .005" overlap at 50 ipm. You can easily see the chops on the right of the picture but they go all the way around the curved area to the left. When the curve goes straight the chopping stops. If I was to cut this at 100 ipm the chops would lead out at more of an angle.

Here's a link to the picture I couldn't figure out how to embed it in the post

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=27

Derek
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:39:17 PM by derek »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 04:00:54 PM »
derek
What motion is your cutter moving, is it going round the arc or is it coming down from the top?
Hood

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 04:10:21 PM »
Hi Hood
I'm using a horizontal finishing pattern. Round and round it goes!!!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »
Could it be your code is made up of many short lines when its going round in the arc?
Hood