Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:28:47 AM

Author Topic: VFD and noise questions  (Read 17802 times)

Re: VFD and noise questions
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 06:59:51 PM »
Well no luck, I installed the locked down version , reloaded my tool change macro and all the setup files . Same problem . With the VFD off , no possibility of stray RF its still doing the same thing .

When I click the spindle button or callout m3 the driver watchdog message will trigger within 10 seconds everytime.
The machine runs fine and everything works as it should when I go over and manualy turn the spindle on with the keypad , mach runs fine and the machine makes perfect parts but the minute an m3 or m4 command is entered the watchdog message pops up and the software goes into estop.

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 08:14:21 PM »
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the only thing the M3 is doing is setting one of the PP outputs to command the motor on, but that signal is basically going nowhere, right?  That sounds like a flaky BOB....  I did have that kind of problem with my (really old) Rev 2.0 C11 board, but since getting a Rev 7, no problems at all.  I wonder what the differences are between my Rev 7.0 and your rev 5.4?

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 08:23:27 PM »
no its turning the motor on and off just like its supposed to . I have tested it with indicator lights and with the VFD and it turns everything on and off properly . The problem is when it does I get the watchdog message and the program goes into estop even when the VFD is not hooked up .

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 08:34:54 PM »
Richard, what are you speeds set to in config., spindle pulley?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008, 08:38:27 PM »
its set 1 to 1 , 1750 rpm   

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 08:58:51 PM »
Have you talked to Arturo? I have one of his BOBs in my mill and couldn't get the analog output for the VFD to work. He sent me a later revision but I haven't messed with it yet as the logic for it was opposite, there have been later revisions since the second,  and I haven't had time to rewire. I just use 2 outputs for now for forward, reverse and both or neither is stop. I just go to the VFD and adjust the speed if needed.

Brett

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008, 09:11:38 PM »
I am going to drop him a line in a few minutes but to be honest his BOB is doing everything correctly , when i call out m3 it closes the contacts on the mechanical relay just like its supposed to and it properly adjust the analog out put thru the full range from 0-10volts depending on the s value so I really dont think its a problem with the board. I have 2 other identical boards purchased at the same time wired just the same that are working perfectly. The only diff is both those machines are running much earlier versions of mach and teco VFD , this one has a 30hp automation direct VFD . I was also running a much later version of mach.

When I installed the earlier version of mach 2.** after the later version 3**is there anything special I need to do to uninstall the newer version ? or is it ok to install as if I am upgrading

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 09:16:13 PM »
Nothing special to do to load an earlier version of Mach. Does the BOB have a pin for the common form the drive and the analog out?
Sent you a PM.

Brett

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
I am going to drop him a line in a few minutes but to be honest his BOB is doing everything correctly , when i call out m3 it closes the contacts on the mechanical relay just like its supposed to and it properly adjust the analog out put thru the full range from 0-10volts depending on the s value so I really dont think its a problem with the board. I have 2 other identical boards purchased at the same time wired just the same that are working perfectly. The only diff is both those machines are running much earlier versions of mach and teco VFD , this one has a 30hp automation direct VFD . I was also running a much later version of mach.

When I installed the earlier version of mach 2.** after the later version 3**is there anything special I need to do to uninstall the newer version ? or is it ok to install as if I am upgrading

You're not connecting the VFD ground (from the VFD control voltage power supply to the BOB) to the system ground, are you?  The VFD control voltage ground needs to be separate from the system ground, just like for the PC.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 11:04:05 PM »
Well thanks for all the advice and help , with the patience and help of Chaoticone on the phone we went thru all the settings and got it all tuned up . As mentioned in his post above the pulley settings seemed to be the problem .  Not sure which of these settings solved the problem but here are screen shots of the three screens where changes were made that solved my problem . Maybe these will help somebody else down the road

s1750 now gives 10.04v at the analog out  , s875 = 5.09v and the actual rpm of the motor is within 10-15 rpm of the speed called out

Thanks Guys