Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:57:42 AM

Author Topic: VFD and noise questions  (Read 17795 times)

Re: VFD and noise questions
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 10:22:16 PM »
What revision is your C11 board?  It should be screened on to the board somewhere.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 10:24:21 PM »
Also, how do you have things grounded?  It's important to have a single, common ground point that everything connects directly to.  You don't want to have grounds daisy chained.  Each device should have its own ground wire, which runs directly to the single common ground point, ideally a big lug on the metal chassis.  Doing otherwise can create all kinds of flaky, mysterious problems.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 08:39:37 AM »
Ill look this morning for the revision , everything is properly grounded to a buss bar in the cabinet which is attached to a couple of ground rods via a big bonding strap. Everything else related to this machine is also grounded to the same ground rods, rotary conv , transformer , vfd
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 09:19:56 AM »
RT,
You mentioned an external E-Stop. I recently set up a C11 to a VFD and had the E-Stop on pin 15. There is definitely a problem with 15.
Within 10 or so seconds, I would get "External E-Stop Requested". Moved to pin 12 and THAT problem went away....but there were others. Went to a PMDX 122 & 106 with much Much MUCH better results.
RC

Here is a link to that story :http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,7679.0.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:25:28 AM by Overloaded »
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 09:29:47 AM »
I am not sure its the VFD thats the probelm . I rebooted the computer, turned on the power supply to the BOB , and I am getting the same watchdog trigger message as soon as I click the spindle button . This is with the VFD off and before the big rotary phase converter is powered up.

If I open gen config and turn off the watchdog as soon as I press the spindle button on screen the program goes into estop.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »
The c11 board is version 5.4   .
I would suspect my wiring scheme but its the exact same on the other machines .

I havent found anything that can be hooked to pin 15 without causing issues except the spindle encoder so I dont use it
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »
I am def starting to think it might be software . I have the pulley setting 1 to 1 , limit 1700 rpm . As long as I call out m3 s800 or less the spindle motor spools up just fine but as soon as I try to jog , callout any moves in the mdi Line or pretty much do anything else on screen I get the watchdog triggered message. When  the m3 command has been entered the mouse moves very slugishly on screen even when the VFD and rotary phase converter are powered down and the watchdog trig message pops up as soon as I type anything in the mdi line.

The machine has been working fine with the rotary conv running , spindle running etc all week , only since I have unchecked the Disable spindle relays box in spindle setup has the problem developed.

I can check the disable spindle dialog box and go back to using the keypad to turn the spindle on and off and everything seems to work fine, even with the conrol wire still in place.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 10:16:57 AM »
You using the latest versions for development testing?
Hood
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 10:38:20 AM »
yep, I will load an older version when I get back

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 10:47:32 AM »
that may well be your problem as it seems even the latest version is still hanging on some prcesses.
Hood