Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:07:21 AM

Author Topic: AC vs DC Servo Motors  (Read 22462 times)

AC vs DC Servo Motors
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:30:56 PM »
I just picked up some servo motors from an industrial excess site.  All the information I looked up stated they were AC servo motors or at least the controller was AC.  Is there a specific motor that is made for either AC or DC voltage?  Can they be used for either AC or DC depending on the controller used?  Each of the motors have 4 pin connections coming out of them, where all the schematics for the DC hookup show only two wires for the hookup.  Can someone enlighten me on servo motors and if I can used the ones I have for a DC application?

thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: AC vs DC Servo Motors
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »
Do you have any info such as name and model of these motors?
 AC servos and Brushless DC servos are basically the same thing, it is the drives that are different, then there are normal brush DC servos, they are completely different.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
I have three different brands.

Reliance electric Y-2012-1-H00AA
IDC Model B23-B-CO
Rexroth MSM030C-0300-NN-MO-CC0

They all have 4 pins coming from the motor.  The line diagram for the Gecko controller shows only 2 wires going to the motors.  If I were to use these motors, which of the 4 wires are wired to the Gecko controller?

thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 03:05:17 PM »
I know for a fact the reliance are AC servos, I use bigger versions of these on the lathe, they are 2000 line encoders. Will have to search for the rest but am a bit busy at the moment.
Hood

Edit BTW Geckos wont drive them

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 03:50:22 PM »
Your IDC is also an AC servo and cant find anything specific about the Rexroth but I do have a manual for a slightly different model number and it to is an AC servo. None of these motors will work with the Geckos as they are for DC servos.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 04:25:58 PM »
Maybe I am stuck on using Geckos, but is there anything out there that will control these AC servos and use Mach3 to control it?  I am assuming there are AC controllers out there that use step and direction similar to the Geckos.  I think I am stuck on the Geckos because of the price and the amount of support out there for information.  I also have a Rexroth Ecodrive Cs, but I am not sure how to hook it up for step and direction.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 04:28:52 PM »
Lots of drives will work with these motors, not sure on the Rexroth, they may have resolvers but possibly the Rexroth drives are fine withthat. I will have a search and see if I can find info on the drives you mention. Do you have a model number for them or is that it? If you have a link to any documentation that would be good as well.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 04:39:48 PM »
OK found info on the Rexroth, need a drive number but it looks like your motors have encoders so that bodes well.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 04:39:58 PM »
I found this sight that has a ac servo driver similar to the gecko but for AC servo motors.  Is there an advantage or disadvantage using AC or DC?  Here is the site....

www.logosolinc.com/download/ls-182.pdf

Thx

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
AC are the best in my opinion. Before you go looking at other drives let me know what model Ecodrives you have, they may do and they will be as good as any drive you can get I would imagine.
Hood