Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:27:08 AM

Author Topic: AC vs DC Servo Motors  (Read 22467 times)

Re: AC vs DC Servo Motors
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 04:52:55 PM »
Hi I'm new to all this just decided to build my own cnc
at the moment I have aquired 3 stepper motors
1 says its a dc stepper motor 2.8volt 2amp and its 2" square. 6wires
the other two are larger may be 4" square I have been informed that these are 2amp also, but there is no identifercation on these how do I find out weather they are dc or ac these are 4 wire
if I connet them up to my power supply and try to run them with it blow them or the power supply

Thanks
Kev

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 05:36:11 PM »
I am planning on sticking different motors that were listed at the first of this topic onto the AB drives.  I have a couple of the motors pinouts that I can work with in connecting the motors up to these drives.  I am just not familiar with what to hook up to and where with the AC servo motors.
By the first motors are you meaning the reliance motors? If so then that is a good choice as they are the same as the Allen Bradley Y series motors and should plug right into your drives :)
 First however you need to make sure your drives are big enough, the motors you listed (Reliance electric Y-2012-1-H00AA) will need a DSD-020 drive, if they came with the motors then the chances are they are correct but have a look and make sure.
 Do you have the UltraWare software? you need that to set up the drives.
If you have any questions or doubts about these drives and motors please let me know as I am very familiar with the Ultra 3000 drives, I have them on my lathe and the mill I am retrofiiting at the moment.

Hood

Oh and almost forgot the reliance motors you have listed are 115v motors so you only want to feed your drives with 115v. Are you in the USA? If so your mains will be 115v between live and neutral I think.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 05:39:39 PM »
Hi I'm new to all this just decided to build my own cnc
at the moment I have aquired 3 stepper motors
1 says its a dc stepper motor 2.8volt 2amp and its 2" square. 6wires
the other two are larger may be 4" square I have been informed that these are 2amp also, but there is no identifercation on these how do I find out weather they are dc or ac these are 4 wire
if I connet them up to my power supply and try to run them with it blow them or the power supply

Thanks
Kev

Do not connect steppers or AC servos direct to a power supply.

If they are stepper motors then you need stepper drives for them. You will know whether they are steppers or not by whether they have some form of feedback, ie if they have an encoder or resolver on the end they are servos, if they dont then they are steppers. If you post a pic of them we should be able to tell.

Hood
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 01:15:53 PM »
Is it just AB that is difficult to match the drives with a motor or is that a general rule with AC drives?  I know that AB is a very good product, but seem to only work with AB motors.  Is there a generic drive that would work with the different motors I have.  I just don't come across very many AB motors in surplus.  I don't have the Ultraware software to set up the motors.  Would I be better of selling the AB ultra 3000 drives on ebay and take the money to buy a generic AC drive?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 01:24:33 PM »
Up to you if you want to sell them but I think you would be crazy. If you do decide to sell then I know a few people who may be interested depending on the models and the price you want.
 You can use ANY synchronous  ac servo motor on the AB drives as long as it has the right feedback/commutation and is within the drives specs for current and voltage. I bought a big motor that I knew was not suitable for the AB drives due to the resolver, I also bought a tiny motor that had a suitable encoder on it, I swapped the encoder onto the big motor and aligned  it and its perfect :)

Let me know exactly what model drives you have and what model motors and I will be able to tell you if its possible without adaption to use them.
Hood
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 05:18:19 PM »
I guess you don't know what you got until its gone.  The motor part numbers are at the first of this topic.  The exact model number of the drives I will need to get next week when I pick up the drives.  I do know that the Reliance motors are 115 v and the Rexroths are 114 volts.  I can't find anything as far as voltage for the IDC motors.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »
Ok so how many drives do you have and do you just have one of each of the motors? The Reliance motors will plug straight into the AB drives, will have to check up on the other motors to see. Dont want to spend time trying to find info if you have enough reliance motors to do what you require, so let me know please.

Hood
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 12:30:29 PM »
The Reliance motors I have 2.  I have 4 IDC motors.  I have 2 Rexroth motors.  The part number for the Ultra3000 drives are 2098-DSD-005 and I have 4 of these.  The version on the Ultra3000 drives a Firmware V1.32.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 02:14:19 PM »
Afraid your Ultra drives are far to small for at least the reliance motors and I think also the other motors you have. The drives are 5 amp continuous and 10 Amp peak if I remember correctly. You will need a DSD-020 drive for the reliance motors.
Hood
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 05:08:39 PM »
What do you look for on the motor specs to determine what drive to use?  When I look at the specs I get overwhelmed with the amount of information that is listed.  I am use to the stepper motors where most motors can be hooked up to my stepper controller.  Will the controller blow if I use a motor that is drawing too many amps above what the controller is rated for?  Can I still use the motors and just not max out the amps on too big of a load?  I am just interested in learning about servo motors now with the encoder feedback.  I do have a stepper motor system that is working good, but just want to expand my horizons.  Thanks for all your help on this subject.  I also just picked up another Rexroth Ecodrive CS drive that I think match right up to the rexroth motors I have.  I am just not sure if the controllers are step and direction driven.