Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 09:46:50 PM

Author Topic: Probing and plate alignment  (Read 14726 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Probing and plate alignment
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 06:31:32 AM »
is it what you are looking for?
 Just so you know how to set it back to normal, clcik the Get Pos button, then without moving the axis clcik it again and it should set the rotation back to zero degrees.
Hood
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »
Just to confirm the usage here....

I have to 'known' coordinates on my pcb (actually crosshairs etched onto a pcb)...to save fiddling about aligning manually to cut the pcb outline, I wanted to mount the board roughly & align these know points with a webcam.....

Can the rotation wizard be brought into play here - if so, is this how it works...  

Jog to my first etched pcb cross hair position & align - I know these exact coordinates - so do I now enter them in to the wizard's DROs then click 'get position'

Now do I jog to the second ectched pcb crosshair & align - again I know these coordinates ...this is where I'm a little unclear of the workings of this wizard...do I again enter these second cordinates into the wizard's DRO then click get position?

Or should I be approaching some other way?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:26:02 PM by peskywinnets »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 05:29:01 AM »
You could jog to the point you want to start and enter the values in the DRO then press Get Pos and then jog the X and Y to align a point further along the edge then press Get Pos again and that will set the rotation. All the wizard is doing is setting the angle of rotation so you can zero ( or enter a value)  the DROs before or after you do this setup.
Hood
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 06:20:55 AM »
Thanks...at the risk appearing a little slow, will this wizard even do what I wish to do, that is

1. Mount a pcb board with known markings (mount it any old way as the aligment is going to be done optically with a webcam)

2. Jog to each of the markings and tell Mach3 the marking coords

3 . Press run to start the cutting!

Wizards are great but where they fall down a little is the supporting info as to when/how to use them.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 01:41:44 PM »
The wizards are there to provide you 1 way of doing a function. You woul deither work that function into how youdo things or change the wizard to do what you need or just develope a new way of doing what you want.

What you are wanting is very simple to do IF you understand the process. SO now would be a GOOD time to learn the processes involved. Then you can do what you need on the fly.

Mount the PCB. Move to the point of rotation. Then run the macro to do the actual rotation(G68) then move to the next point of refererence. The macro will then calculate the rotation angle and apply it to the G68 and the part is then rotated based on the 2 points. It could then even set the Point of origin based on the rotation point position.

It can be done many ways. You just have to develope 1 to work as you need it.

Hope that helps, (;-) TP
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 02:50:03 PM »
I'm not sure a wizard exists to do exactly what I want.

I want to use a webcam to jog/align my cutter over a known pcb coordinate/mark then let mach 3 know the coordinate  - obviously the camera is going to be offset from the cutter tip...so there's one offset that I need to cater for!

Next, I want to jog to another known cordinate - align the webcam over it, then enter these known coordinates ....and then Mach3 magically updates itself to reflect the fact that the pcb is not squarely mounted.

Now if I had a clue about how to approach this then I would...where's a good starter for learning how to do this? (would it be a macro - language?, a wizard...what would be the best approach here?)

I seek to do exactly via Mach3 what this guy is doing here....      

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJnenOsbCzU&feature=player_embedded (alas, the functionality is embedded in code within is own CNC application software)

I'm surpriseed there's not more call for this type of thing - lots of folks etch their pcbs, but still need a way of cutting them out - presently it's a major time sump registering/aligning the pcb with the CNC software (not a problem of course if the whole board is isolation milled, but I'm talking for boards with track widths beyond the capabilities of my modest machine hence chemically etching)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 03:03:14 PM by peskywinnets »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »
OK first do you have your camera mounted???

You first need to LEARN to deal with offsets.THey are several ways to do it. Thesimple way is to use  fixture offsets.

You can read up on them in the manual.

The other ways to do it would be to use a G52 or a G92 or use the G10 offsetting to account for the offset of the camera . These also can be found in the manual.

Once you have offsetting down pat the Wizard can be used to auto rotate the part program in Mach.

Move to the rotaion point as veiwed with teh camera, press the button then move to the second reference point and align it in the camera and press the button again. The wizard will take the points and then rotate the part program based on the reference points.

Simple as that.

NOW NOTE: that once you rotate the part(G68mode) then MACH not longer JOGs in relation to the rotated part it still jogs in normal mode. BUT it will cut in rotated mode.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 03:55:26 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 04:02:30 PM »
No my webcam isn't mounted yet, I did plug in the family webcam, just to make sure I could get mach3 working ok on my workshop PC - it was fine, so I ordered a cheap & cheerful (manual focus) webcam off ebay that I can butcher! I'll make a mount for it when it arrives in a day or two & then I'll be ready...that's why I'm trying to do some spadework in the meantime...thanks for your help (off to read about offsets!)

(just one thing, does the rotation have to happen around my first point...in other words do I have to arrange it that my first index mark on the pcb is X0,Y0?)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:11:30 PM by peskywinnets »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »
NO it does not have to be the rotation point. THe 2 points are just require to be able to calculate the rotation angle. Then you go back to the part Point of origin(X0Y0) and set it to X0Y0. THen you are ready to machine.

I would start with teh LH point frist then move to the RH point. Look at the picture in the Wizard it says a lot(;-)

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:12:05 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 04:15:53 PM »
NO it does not have to be the rotation point. THe 2 points are just require to be able to calculate the rotation angle. Then you go back to the part Point of origin(X0Y0) and set it to X0Y0. THen you are ready to machine.

I would start with teh LH point frist then move to the RH point. Look at the picture in the Wizard it says a lot(;-)

(;-) TP

Damn just when I thought had it mapped out loosely in my head....so the rotation wizard only sets the angle of rotation?!!

Ok, so the steps would be...

1. Jog to/Align point 1 - tell Mach3's rotation wizard the coordinates
2. Jog to/Align point 2 - tell Mach3's rotation wizard the coordinates
3. exit the wizard (the rotation angle is set).
4. Now jog to any known point on my main pcb (doesn't have to be 0,0) & tell Mach3 the specific coordinates (again using my webcam to align over the mark)

Now I'm ready to cut?

The end goal here must be a wizard that not only works out the angle of rotation but remembers the coordinates that you entered while in the rotation wizard
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:24:10 PM by peskywinnets »