Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM

Author Topic: Set Tormach Mach3 to metric  (Read 10624 times)

Re: Set Tormach Mach3 to metric
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 02:59:08 PM »
Thanks again Hood.
Why did you say that the G21 is not really what I want if I'm running metric all the time ?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 03:03:28 PM »
Just simply that it is better to have the whole setup as either Metric or Imperial. As I said earlier I thought the tooltables will always be set in the native units no matter whether you are in G20 or G21 mode, this is correct. So when you run under the G21 your tooltables will still need set up with imperial units. If you touch off and use the auto toolsetting features then its not an issue but if you manually enter dimensions into the offset tables then you will need to remember to do it in imperial units.
 Other than that it should be fine :)

Hood
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 03:31:01 PM »
Ahh, that sounds like a bit of a pain. I'll maybe ask Tormach if there's a fundamental reason why a metric setup couldn't be created. I guess it can't be as simple as converting the xml file as that looks like a pretty straightforward if tedious task.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 03:40:48 PM »
I think the main reason will be for support, much easier to support a product if everyone has the same initial settings, also I think John mentioned the resolution was 1/10th thou exactly so again that would make for easier setup and support.
 Would be good if they would make a metric xml for you but wouldnt hold out too much hope, but hey you never know maybe they will :)

Hood
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 02:26:11 PM »
I think if you give the suggested route a try you will find it works well.

There are of course other options you can request from Tormach. You can weigh the advantages and disadvantages.

John Prentice
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »
I've made the G21 change to the init file, and it behaves as you've all described.
Thanks for the tips.
Now I just have to find out while my coolant reservoir is leaking...