Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:15:21 AM

Author Topic: Set Tormach Mach3 to metric  (Read 10625 times)

Set Tormach Mach3 to metric
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:24:30 AM »
Hi all,
I'd like my new Tormach PCNC running Mach3 to default to metric units on power up. A thread on this forum indicates that you can do this by using the config.. native units selection on the main menu. But the Tormach variant of Mach3 doesn't seem to have this option.
Does anyone have any experience of setting to metric by default any other way ?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Set Tormach Mach3 to metric
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:52:43 AM »
You can put G21 in your initialisation line and that will make the DROs etc be in metric but not sure if the tooltables are still imperial or not, seem to remember something about that.
  Email Tormach and ask them if they can send you a metric xml.
 You could also install another revision of Mach and set it up yourself but that may void your warranty with Tormach so I would ask before you did that.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:36:54 AM »
Is there an initialisation file that has reckonisable Gcodes in it? I've looked through the obvious directories on my PC but haven't found a likely candidate yet. I can what looks like a suitable xml file which currently has units set=1 so I could try changing that to 0 or 2.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:46:16 AM »
If you go to the Config menu then down to General config you will see an initialisation string, enter G21 into that and each time you start Mach will be showing metric units.

As for the xml, think it will be Units set to 0 for metric.
However remember if you do that you will need to set up your steps per unit as metric and also retune your motors.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:54:39 AM »
Thanks for the tips Hood, but I think I'll have to wait for Tormach to come up with a solution as I don't have the config..general config option.
All I have is config.. fixtures, tooltables or config plugins.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 11:58:20 AM »
Ah ok, sure Torrmach must have a metric xml, is there definitely not one supplied? have a look in the Mach3 folder and see what xml's are there.
 In the mean time you could MDI a G21 everytime you start Mach or make sure you have G21 at the start of all your Gcode, its not ideal if like me you will use metric all the time with only very occasional imperial code.

Hood
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:11:07 PM »
There's only the one .xml file unfortunately, and I suspect that if I modify the units value I'll have to go through all the other motion related parameters and scale them appropriately.
It's a shame there doesn't appear to be a way of autorunning a G21 command.
Hopefully Tormach will come up with something.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 01:36:54 PM »
As I said G21 isnt really what you are wanting if you will be running your machine predomantly in metric units.
 I will  ask John P if he knows of a metric xml. for the Tormach.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 02:28:21 PM »
Thanks Hood, that would be very useful

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 02:36:52 PM »
Seems there is not a metric xml for the Tormach due to support reasons and I see why that is so, there is however a way to force a G21 on every reset, it is as follows.
In C:\PCNC3\Macros\PCNC-M3 there is a macro M990.m1s

You need to edit the text in the macro similar to the lines shown in bold (ie delete the Rem from the front of G21 and put Rem in front of G20)

' This macro iimplements PCNC INIT actions
' Add G21/G20 change if needed 

' Uses UserLabel 2, UserDRO 1209

Rem Code "G20"  ' uncomment this to force G20 every Reset
    Code "G21"  ' uncomment this to force G21 every Reset

Metric = GetUserDRO (1209)
If Metric <> 0 Then
    SetUserLabel 2, "millimeters"

It is probably best to make a copy of the macro to your desktop (or wherever you wish) before you edit it just in case it goes wrong ;)
There is also a Yahoo group that John pointed me to for Tormach, here is the link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tormach1100/

Hood