Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:00:27 AM

Author Topic: Warco VMc /Chester 626 knee mill CNC conversion  (Read 58716 times)

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
Re: Warco VMc /Chester 626 knee mill CNC conversion
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2008, 12:45:47 PM »
No real problem once you get up and going.

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2008, 07:34:08 AM »
The nice Sandra from Anti friction components sorted out my problems with the pulleys. Not only that but her boss is coming past my work place on Thursday so he'll drop them in and pick up the wrong ones without charge. So though I could blame them for a mistake overall I'm pretty pleased with the outcome (at least I will be if all goes to plan). Tonight is powder coating night mark II.
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2008, 08:35:48 AM »
"Just looking back at the pics WantCNC posted my steppers look a lot bigger than his (no not showing off "

Yes you are :)

you do need to be aware that steppers need to have some work to do in order to run at full speed
to large is not a good thing either... looks like your OK
the double shaft was selected in case I wanted to put encoders on (to check for missed steps)

JB

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2008, 08:45:04 AM »
Belt and braces approach.  What work do I need to do to the steppers ? Would the encoders feed back to Mach 3 via a BOB ? I'm guessing you've dropped the encoder option as you've found them to be pretty reliable as they are? I must admit I've had my steppers for a while and didn't pick them in a scientific manner more like these ones look big enough and 3NM seems about right etc. My Z axis stepper is woefully inadequate though as I hadn't thought of moving a heavy table with it. I'll try and get another stepper the same as the X and Y.

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2008, 08:57:51 AM »
Ops sorry I miss read your post. Yep the steppers need to to do the work...not I need to do some work on them.. :)

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2008, 01:54:21 PM »
Pulleys turned up today. Wow the 72 tooth 13 mm pulley looks big and heavy but I'm sure it'll be ok. The handles that have been on order since I got the Mill (as they were missing) ie the Y and one of the X axis handles also turned up today but unfortunately are the wrong bore so they'll have to go back. I'm thinking I will mount the pulleys on the hand wheels now by turning down the boss on the hand wheel and opening up the bore on the pulleys to get a tight fit then a couple of grub screw retainers to stop them turning. If I feel really brave I suppose I could even thread them but that's a little advance for me.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
LOl you are not having much luck with the pulleys and handles :D

As for handwheels, I think you will find you never use them. On my first conversion (manual Bridgeport) I kept the handwheels for simple things like surfacing, two months in and I had never used them at all so out came the 9inch angle grinder LOL

Hood

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2008, 12:14:28 PM »
I'm tempted to think the same that I'll probably never use them but trying to tread a little cautious. Me and luck so far on this project don't seem to be seeing eye to eye :). I've ordered the Z axis stepper from www.arceurotrade.co.uk  these were slightly more expensive than motion control product but motion charge £10 PnP where as Arc only charge £3.95 so just come in a bit cheaper.

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2008, 01:25:42 PM »
Another mistake I've made is the size of the  z axis belt. I had worked out the size and HPC couldn't do that size but suggested the next one up, same sort of thing with the next companies I tried then the pulley got bigger so that meant a bigger belt. The belt I ended up with is much too big (long) still I'll get it assembled and order another one the right size it's a cheap enough mistake to make.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2008, 07:12:49 AM »
Did the same as you the first retro I did so now i get the motors and pulleys mounted before I order belts :)
I have dealt with ArcEuro a ccouple of times, once the courier screwed up, it was the day they shut for Christmas holidays and they went way beyond the call of duty and got things sorted for me, excellent service.

Hood