Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:35:04 PM

Author Topic: Warco VMc /Chester 626 knee mill CNC conversion  (Read 58711 times)

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
Re: Warco VMc /Chester 626 knee mill CNC conversion
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2008, 02:46:35 PM »
On Re reading the HPC quote it seems to be for pilot bore pulleys as there's no mention of grub screws or keys.
The steppers I'm using have 9.5mm shafts with a flat on so I'm hoping for 9.5 mm bore and grub screw for the 24 tooth and the 10 tooth pulleys. The 72 tooth are going on to a 16mm keyed shaft and the 80 tooth on to an 18mm keyed shaft. I've given all this info to the various companies and stated I can bore out to 9.5 mm if need be but I'm a bit stuck to put a key way in at the moment. That would be a lot of filing I think :)

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008, 03:09:09 PM »
It seems HPC have led me up the garden path a bit with what pulleys I need etc. Even RS are quarter of their price the HTD belts are around £5 even for the big Z axis one. I'm feeling that HTD will do me fine and the sales talk of I need this and that whilst may be true they are better they are a lot higher spec than  I need. The downside with RS is they haven't actually got the sizes I'm after they do ones that are close but not the same. IE 9mm or 15mm pulley not 10mm I guess I would have to go for the thicker but don't want to increase drag anymore than necessary. I'll await MR BSL and AFC on Monday and hope they have good news. Hmmm then again it was HPC that told me what I needed I told them the ratios and the RPM/power of the motors and they told me what size pulleys and belts I needed. I think they probably got that bit right though the fellow did sound like he knew his stuff all be-it a tad pricey.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2008, 03:38:02 PM »
I would say the difference between the others and the HPC ones, excepting the cost, is you get a generous helping of bull********* thrown in with HPC :)

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2008, 03:40:28 PM »
9 and 15 are standard sizes, 10 and 16 are not. Well thats from anything I have seen.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2008, 03:43:08 PM »
You can opt to go for taper lock pulleys/bushes. Thats what I got for the Beaver mill I am doing, bit more expensive than pilot bore but  way cheaper than HPC :D

Hood

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2008, 03:49:28 PM »
I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on pulleys except that I realize a different number or letter could mean a belt or pulley wont fit.  I'm wondering now then If I should have told BSL and AFC that anything near 10mm would be good enough I basically gave them the spec from HPC thinking these things are fairly standard I hope they don't waste a lot of time trying to match the belt sizes etc exactly. For taper lock I assume you get a standard taper lock adaptor and the pulley fits on it as in the gents pic on this thread. It's another option to think of.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »
Yes taper lock bushes/pulleys come in series, so for one size taper lock there may be 30 different bores you can get. As an example the pulleys I got for the Beaver spindle were both the same
P28-14M-40MM/HTD but I got two different bushes to suit, one for motor and the other for the spindle. Motor one was 2012-24 and Spindle 2012-50. 2012 is the series size and 24 or 50 is the bore size. You wont be going for anything that big so the series number will be different as well.

Hopefully BSL and AFC will just spec you for nearest but they may well try to match as with you giving them part numbers they are probably thinking its from a machine and you need exact replacements. My local BSL is open Saturday mornings so maybe yours will be as well and you could give them a call, if not it will have to be Monday :(

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2008, 04:03:22 PM »

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2008, 09:06:02 PM »
Splendid on the taper thingys it would save a bit of hassle if I dont get them pre keyed.
I've got all my bits and pieces in a box today. I found an old rack mounted PC case in a skip which is ideal as it has a couple of big fans and an ATX power supply to power the BOB's. The smoothstepper, 2 X BOB's, 3X stepper drives(MSD542's) and the motor PSU all fit in nice and neat in the one box. I'm thinking of connectors now for the leads to the motors. I'm connecting the 8 wired motors in parallel so I'll only need 4 cores to each motor. So I'm thinking of what kind of connectors I can mount in the rear panel of the new box which will be OK at 4.2 amp. The idea being it will make the system neater and if I then mod my lathe which I hope to do once the mill is sorted then I can unplug the Mill from the control box and simply plug in the lathe. I could go for a connector that has enough pins to take all the motors and a few extra for home and limit switches but this means them being pretty close to each other in the plug and seeing the problems people have had on here with cross talk and noise I'm thinking individual plugs with screen cable for each motor and another one for switches.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2008, 03:38:24 AM »
Yes definitely go with single connectors for each motor, I would even go with single connectors for each limit. Rapid is probably about as cheap as you will get in the UK, have a look here for the circular style http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Connectors-Multipole/Circular-Connectors/Circular-locking-multipole-connectors/66501

Hood