Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:28:41 AM

Author Topic: Setting Home and Limit switches while using Galil?  (Read 3527 times)

Setting Home and Limit switches while using Galil?
« on: July 05, 2008, 05:00:17 PM »
Are they active low?

I know that the Galil uses NC switches...
I have Mach running and wanted to start hooking up my limits and homes... PLease help !!!!

Thanks....
Hey THANKS 4 all the help in advance. I'll need more than you'll ever expect!!!

www.cravenpottery.com

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Setting Home and Limit switches while using Galil?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 02:55:41 AM »
I have tried to have a look on the web for a diagram for Galil boards - but without success.

You do not say what board you are using.  The part of interest, however, is only the breakout board, since the drivers are sorted anyway.

If, on the Galil board, your inputs are identified for you, then test each one with a voltmeter. They will be held high +5volts, or low 0volts. If you are using normally closed switches, then your switch should be connected to the pin and the opposite voltage line.
i.e. if the pin is normally high, then the switch is closed and connects the pin to 0volts. When the switch opens and disconnects the pin from 0volts, the input is pulled hign and gives a signal to the computer. (or vica versa for 0 volts)

If your computer is connected, you should see the switching on the diagnostics screen. You must then configure the input on Config/Ports and Pins/Input Signals.

You can either connect each pin individually or all the pins in series - but come back to that when you get the first bit sorted.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 07:47:56 AM »
I know where they go on the galil... and How to hook them up on the galil... I also know that if you disconnect wires from the galil18x2 thare is a good chance it'll run away wildly... Been running camsoft for 3 years, and I learned and little wireing change while the machine is up, go ahead and get the e-stop ready...

I know what to put in the ports and pins on for the board locations.  Just the term Active low, or high? One means NC and the other is NO... I guess I will have to trial and error....
Hey THANKS 4 all the help in advance. I'll need more than you'll ever expect!!!

www.cravenpottery.com

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 01:39:23 PM »
You have no need to run the machine to find out whether your switches are active or not.

If you look on the diagnostics page there is a full read out of the switches, in real time.

If you connect your switches and look on the diagnostics page, then they should NOT be lit until you activate them. Activate them manually and see if they show up. If they do, you know they are working correctly and can take your hand off the reset.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.