Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:57:40 AM

Author Topic: Motors get Your hot motors!!!  (Read 7883 times)

Offline Cosha

•  63 63
    • View Profile
Motors get Your hot motors!!!
« on: June 24, 2008, 09:36:53 AM »
hello all...

yeah i know me again!

the machines doing fine, one problem? how hot do the steppers get normaly? i expect some heat, but mines fairly hot to the touch!

now another problem i have got is i dont know the turns on my steppers to see what they are...

the lead screw is this

http://www.worldofcnc.com/images/Trapezoidal%20Spindle.pdf
 TR12x3D

i have used the inbult MPG in mach and it has worked out that one step is 133.666666666666666 now that cant be right????

i have read, re read the mach documents and searched day on night here but i have still got hot motors (i think)

what sort of values should i be looking at? i stared with 500 / 50 / 5 in motor tuning

cheers

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Motors get Your hot motors!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:53:33 AM »
Steppers do get hot, if you can keep your hand on them then they are probably OK.
As for your Steps Per then yes that may well be right, are you using metric? What are your screws, metric or imperial and what is the pitch? Do you have any gearing or are they coupled directly to the screws?
Hood

Offline Cosha

•  63 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:59:40 AM »
yes all metric - direct drive i think its right handed 200mm pitch

yeah i can keep my hand on them, i expected some heat from the motors i just assumed not that much, but then again i have never made a cnc machine before so i wouldnt really know, aslong as they get heat then im happy!

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:02:47 AM »
200? I assumed by the part # that it was 3 mm pitch.

Offline Cosha

•  63 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 10:12:37 AM »
i think you right - opps

Offline Cosha

•  63 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:17:19 AM »
yeah there not overly cook an egg on hot, i can hold onto them for a while just like holding onto a hot water bottle, they do cool failry quickly when the controller is turned off mayby 15-20 mins

so my 133.6666666 was close, i did try to work out it on my own but can get quite confusing when you read something then read another thing about the same problem and its totaly different, i guess thats where every motor and set up can be different!

is the heat caused but alot of resistance inside the motor?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:20:36 AM »
Current reduction on drives will help keep motors cooler as the current drops when they are not being used, dont stress too much about them getting hot as long as you dont start smelling them  :o
Hood

Offline Cosha

•  63 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 11:18:22 AM »
sorry one unit i will learn, im goint to try again now see if i can get it spot on!

trail and error with the speeds to!!

Offline Cosha

•  63 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 03:19:51 PM »
just a quick update!

sorted out the mpg and all is ok

circles actualy come out round and not oval egg shaped!

and just had a mess around with text inside mach one of the wizzards! ACE i could actualy even read the 1mm text so im very happy!

just waiting now for my end mills and the only tool i have is a round nose engraver and its quite big so i wasent getting very nice cuts, still tomorrow i can mess about with feed rates!

my feed rate is only 300mm at the min its slow enough to hit that big ol red button if things go (.)(.)'s up, but nippy enough to entertain me!

i think now i really do have the cnc bug and i blame everyone here! and mach for making life so easy!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »
Ha ha, watch the bug doesnt bite harder :)

Hood