Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:37:33 AM

Author Topic: Spindle encoder disk diameter?  (Read 8737 times)

Spindle encoder disk diameter?
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:06:48 PM »
Is there any problem with a using 5" + diameter encoder disk with the C3 index pulse card from cnc4p

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle encoder disk diameter?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 02:12:58 AM »
What are you meaning by encoder disk? If yo are just meaning a slotted disc then no, the only problem you may have is the bigger you go the more force you will have on the dirsc as its spinning so it will have to be made of sturdy material.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:32:40 AM »
Thanks  , yes the slotted disk is what I am reffering to .

vmax549

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:37:14 AM »
JUst remember the larger the disc the larger the index hole must be to allow MACH enough time to see it Cycle.

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 12:42:33 PM »
looks like about 5 1/2" is about as small as I can make it , the spindle is 5" diam where it exits the bearings and increases to 10" at the big air cyl that closes the chuck . There is a 6" diam cog that drives the qaud encoder sandwiched between the bearing housing and air cyl , I was thinking of pulling it off and replacing with slotted disk
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
I believe you can make the OD as big as you like....just stick to the formula for the slot widths.
RC

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 01:22:08 PM »
looks like about 5 1/2" is about as small as I can make it , the spindle is 5" diam where it exits the bearings and increases to 10" at the big air cyl that closes the chuck . There is a 6" diam cog that drives the qaud encoder sandwiched between the bearing housing and air cyl , I was thinking of pulling it off and replacing with slotted disk

Just wondering if you already have an encoder if you couldn't pull your signal off of one of it's outputs? As pointed out above if it has a single index and another output of multiple slots?

Kristin
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 01:25:39 PM by Kristin D »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 05:29:37 PM »
Index pulse from an encoder is too short for the PP to see I think, the SmoothStepper will soon support encoders though so I will be fitting one in place of the slotted disc soon :)

Hood

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »
Hood,

Probably a good point but there is probably a way to stretch the pulse time if there is indeed two discrete outputs from such a critter, one being a once per revolution pulse and the other being 50 or 100 or ??? per, It was just a thought to save labor retrofiting something that could be modified, and lord knows I am all for doing nothing if I can help it!

Kristin
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:43:18 PM »
I would love to be able to use the existing  encoder if at all possible, I am def not going to take it off with smooth stepper soon being able to utilize it