Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:26:55 AM

Author Topic: Routing Wood  (Read 78643 times)

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: Routing Wood
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 10:18:27 AM »
I would too as well as I indeed would be cutting into metal.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 11:15:29 AM »
I had bit of a go at the Cheese Board back in February ( http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,4314.0.html ) and not really having learn't my lesson I have now had a go at the Bread Board.

Now, will she think that the mystic symbols have improved it or not ?.
PEACE

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 12:25:22 PM »
lol! Very good, sir, I think if she's anything like my wife, she'll lower and shake her head and walk away mumbling about something like "that stupid $%&* -*&^%-*&^%.......etc.... "  ;D

Dave->    ;)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 06:18:01 PM »
Your a glutton for punishment. My smooth talking was stretched to it's limit on your last project. It's nothing short of a miracle you still even have a router. Or a cheese board. Or even a wife. Your gonna need somebody like Johnnie Cochran, or Robert Shapiro before it's all said and done.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 06:37:23 PM »
Sam, your a d*** mess.  ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline John S

•  111 111
  • Nottingham England
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 03:40:02 AM »
Replying to the questions about the samples used in Cut2D.

I did some work on this program when it was in Beta, in fact the loco wheel and con rod are my files that Vectric asked if they could be included.
Don't know who supplied the rocket file or if it was to be for wood or metal.

The loco wheel and conrod were done for metal, can't remember the time for the first operation of the wheel but the latter one, the spokes it took us 1 hour 13 minutes to cut but I dropped a goolie as I cut a blank out of stainless steel instead of mild steel and when on site at Leicester testing the new Sieg KX1, only a small mill, it was too late to do anything with it other than drop the feeds and speeds down to save the cutters.

Having said that I thought it did a marvelous job to cut stainless on a small machine like this.

Some things I noticed with the program that was reported back to Vectric were wasted moves which they were going to look into. The worst was it sets a default Z hight to about 10mm if in metric and raises the cutter to this hight after every cut. It then sends the cutter back into the cut at Z feed rate which for metal can be slow. In our case 10mm at 70mm / min just to get back to the top of the work and then to go another 5mm to get back to where it started before it puts the next cut on.
That's a lot of air time.

We compromised after the test cut by setting the Z clearance plane to 2mm which made a lot of difference.

I feel that it's all a trade off against ease of use and cost compared to a optimised toolpath.

I have to cut a load of washer like blanks out of a sheet of plastic and programmed this up in Cut2D last night, cycle time for 24 out of 10mm thick Tufnol is 36 minutes which I find acceptable as I'm doing something else anyway.

I may have been able to shave a few minutes off this job in another program but it would have took a lot longer then the 5 minutes it took to get the code out in Cut2D.

John S.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:41:34 AM by John S »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 06:40:20 AM »
Hi John S,

Thanks for the information.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 08:49:08 AM »
One of Vectric VCarve pro's test examples cut in MDF.

Quite scary to watch this cutting as the depth of cut and loading on the spindle is very high. The finished work however, is a pleasure to look at and a credit to VCarve pro.
PEACE

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 08:56:09 AM »
Another good job Tweakie. Those guys over at Vectric are great and very sharp to boot.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 11:46:42 AM »
That's a beauty, nice work...........now to save my pennies for Vectric V Carve -  :P

Dave->    ;)