Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:36:53 AM

Author Topic: Routing Wood  (Read 78634 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Routing Wood
« on: June 08, 2008, 07:28:29 AM »
This relief was routed in oak 2.5 mm deep using a 3 mm diameter single flute cutter. The width of the sign is 350 mm which is the maximum size I can handle with the X - Axis. Longer signs have to be mounted sideways ( Y - Axis ) and cut in stages. This is the nameplate for a 'Beach Hut', which is a very appropriate name, don't you think ?.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Routing Wood
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 02:05:56 PM »
At first glance I thought you were making a time machine. Looks like a job well done.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 04:10:02 AM »
Another plaque for Art's stairwell perhaps ?. Neptune and Gemme / Gemme and Neptune, well maybe not.

This plaque is approx 150 mm x 190 mm and was cut in teak to 7 mm maximum depth. The cutter was a 3 mm diameter ball nose running at 3000 rpm and with a feed rate of F300 it took approx. 3 hours to complete. (The finished plaque has been gloss varnished and it was difficult to get a reasonable picture because of the reflections.)

The image is called 'Gemme', and this can be downloaded from Martin De Roode's website at http://engraving.majosoft.com/html/perfect_pictures.html.

I have posted my G-Code for this project if anyone is interested in cutting this plaque themselves. (If you use a high speed spindle then the feed rates can be increased considerably but to avoid overloading the cutter, reduce the feed rate by 50% or so for the first cut then reset to the full rate for the remainder. The X and Y zero is dead centre of the blank and Z zero is with the cutter just touching the work).

Happy routing.
PEACE

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 08:29:07 PM »
Good job Tweakie.  ;)

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 06:54:47 AM »
This is one of the sample tool paths from the 'Vectric Cut2D'. It makes a very nice job but there are so many unnecessary and time consuming Z moves on such a simple plaque that I really wonder how well it will cope with a complicated design.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 12:54:21 PM »
Some more of the Vectric Cut2D samples, cut in MDF.
PEACE

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 09:04:39 AM »
This is one of the sample tool paths from the 'Vectric Cut2D'. It makes a very nice job but there are so many unnecessary and time consuming Z moves on such a simple plaque that I really wonder how well it will cope with a complicated design.

Nice work, folks. Tweakie, may I ask how large the "Rocket" plaque is and how long it took with the (what size) cutter? I'm interested since I'm thinking of purchasing that for myself.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 02:32:12 PM »
Hi Budman68,

Size of MDF is 290 mm x 100 mm, size of 'Rocket' pocket is approx. 170 mm x 60 mm.
Cutter used was 3.5 mm diameter.
Total time taken for Rocket and Wheel approx. 2 .5 Hours. ( I use a low speed spindle ).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 06:38:02 PM »
Wow, you weren't kidding, that is quite a bit of time for that size, indeed.

Thanks for the info -  :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 09:14:27 AM »
Hi Budman68,

Now that I have had more time to trial 'Cut2D' and to be fair to Vectric - I conclude that the excessive time to pocket the 'Rocket plaque' is mainly due to the feed rates and 'ramp plunge' rates set in the example as I am pretty sure that it was intended to be made in metal not MDF. Secondary is the high number of closed loop tool paths caused by Vectric's pocketing algorithm. I just increased the Mach3 feed rate to 200% and started cutting.

I would be very interested to hear what times others have for machining these examples.

Tweakie.
PEACE