Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:46:09 PM

Author Topic: Fried 2nd Computer (Newbie)  (Read 23408 times)

Re: Fried 2nd Computer (Newbie)
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 12:16:16 AM »
Question. The DB25 male to male cable if I understand this correctly has to be wired straight thru. Is this correct? If so I think the IEEE 1284 cables are wired differently.

Thanks

Travis

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 01:30:52 AM »
Hi, Travis

It's a straight through cable 1 to 1, 2 to 2,.........25 to 25, There called Printer Extender cables, M to M or M to F with gender changer.

Chip

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 03:11:43 AM »
ok with your circuit diagram their ARE MAJOR problems wrong with it

firstly the + &  - 24v  should be connected across all motor drives ( KL 4030 ) in parralell , i.e red to red , black to black
so at your fuse block ( transformer side )  connect all reds together and all blacks together , and also a red and black to your 12v supply pcb ( if you notice you have the black wires correct  but the red's are not all connected together )

check that you then have 24v on each of the correct connections on the KL4030'S and that your 12v supply output  is correct with your multimeter

the step & direction  connections look fine ,

do NOT CONNECT TO THE COMPUTER YET
we need to check out your printer lead and the connections , so which breakout board are you using ?
so i can be more specific

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 03:51:27 AM »
i think in a previous post you changed the breakout board to a probotix  http://www.probotix.com/schematics/pbx-2_schematic.jpg

so if that is the case then the connections are simply
1 to 1 , 2 to 2 etc all the way to 25 to 25 ,

However beware ! , due to the nature of D Type connectors in some cases the pins can change position depending
if your using male or female connectiors , so the best way is to check is with the cable connected to the break out board , and check from the pc end of the cable to the breakout board pcb connection , the should simply be pins 1 to 1 all the way

so here we go

check pin2 first to the pcb pin 2 with a multimeter on resistance and see if you have continuity
if you do then check the following pins exactly the same way

pin4 to pcb pin 4 , pin 6 to pcb pin 6 , pin 15 to pcb pin 15 ,  pin 16 , pin 23  &  pin 24

if all are correct then your cable is correct .

if any pin is incorrect then you have 2 options
rewire one plug or

make up  whats called a gender changer between a 25w plug and a 25w socket ( or plug to plug )  , which can then be inserted between the printer cable and the breakout board 

now this gender changer needs to be made to suit
the connections they become swapped from end to end on each row

so pin 1 has to go to pin 13
pin2 to pin 12
pin 3 to pin 11
continue for all pins on the top row

then the same for the bottom row

pin 14 to pin 25
pin 15 to pin 24
pin 16 to pin 23
pin 17 to pin 22
you can miss a few pins now and jump to
pin 24 to pin 15
pin 25 to pin 13

etc etc

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 04:09:26 AM »
I have tried to fraw a wiring diagram for you. It is schematic - in that it does not put everything in its place as you have tried to do.It is however essentially similar to yours, but, I think, easier to follow.

However - there are a few things to note.

1. Your power leads to the driver cards must be a seperate pair to each card - NOT daisy chained from one to the other
2. Note the inclusion of a second power supply to provide 5 volts to your BoB. This will ensure there is no chance of any fault developing on the regulator side that allows 24 volts into your computer system.
3. I do not understand why you need 12 volt supply to your Bob - (I dont know which Bob yu are on now) - most work on 5 volts, and again cut out the possibility of voltage getting back to your computer. You wre on the Probotix board - I think that board has a 5 volt regulator on board - so all you need is a low voltage supply
4. You MAY derive a 12 volt supply for your fan from the 24 volt supply
5. As someone has already said - your voltages around your 25 lead cable to your computer are suspect - where is the stray voltage coming from. The outer sheathing and pins 18 to 25 should be at 0v.
6. The leads from your Bob to your drivers cards should be seperate to each driver. The "common" lead (green) could be 5 volts, or 0v depending on your driver board requirements.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 04:19:56 AM by jimpinder »
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 01:51:06 PM »
Hello Dave, Chip , Jimpinder and Hood

Thank you for taking your valuable time to help me. I am going to redo things today as noted. I really do appreciate this help.

Thanks

Travis
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Ok just received the LPT cables from Probotix and the optoisolated bob board. Hooked just board to 12 volt supply and to computer. turned computer on Led on board came on engaged mach3 then powered up bob and the line across the screen has come back and the ground lead from the bob to the 12 volt supply started melting. ??? What does this mean?

Thanks

Travis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008, 05:32:34 PM »
What is your 12V supply? is it a voltage regulator? If so is there a possibility that it is connected wrong and you are putting the 24V main supply to your board?
Hood

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 06:13:18 PM »
Hi, Travis

Where do you live, You need to find some one to help get this sorted out.

You've got a Power wire or Gnd wire in the wrong place.

That's why your BOB board is Shorting Out Everything when you connect it to your Computer.

As you stated before:

"I checked both parallel port cables and I have 5volts on the outer shell of the d connection no ground on pin 18-25."

You Should Not have 5 volts on the Outer Shell, It's a Gnd/Shield, Pin's 18 through 25 are also Gnd/Returns pin's.

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 07:53:31 PM »
I have checked for the obvious over and over rewired as per the diagram. I am still using the 7812 voltage regulator. I have tried several different 7812 voltage regulators . I have one 7812 connected right off of the filter capacitor. Checked I have 12volts everytime fan works and 12 volt LED lights up. The Bob checks out fine as long as I do not connect it to the computer. I have the correct cables now from Probotix and a brand new Bob which I checked with volt meter before connecting to the computer. It was all great until I connected it to my computer. That is when the Ground wire got hot from 7812 to the onboard voltage regulator LM317 which supplies 5volts to the bob which is on the bob itself from Probotix. I have followed instructions from Probotix as to which jumpers to remove which is only jumper 5. I have checked the Bob over and over this time before connecting to the computer. I am thinking that I did some damage to the parralle port yesterday when I hooked up the Bob that had 5 volts on the ground shield. I had already powered the bob connected to the computer before I knew that the shield was actually a ground. Do you think that my paralle port is messed up now?

Thanks

Travis