Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:53:57 AM

Author Topic: Fried 2nd Computer (Newbie)  (Read 23419 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Fried 2nd Computer (Newbie)
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
Yes thats correct for parallel connection but again even if you had that wrong there is no way you would fry your computer.
Hood
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 07:31:51 PM »
Thanks Hood.

Here is photo of my mess. Maybe you can see something I don't. The breakout board in the picture is from probotix. I changed out the C10 after it cooked. I haven't tried to power anything yet.
Any help much appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:10:27 AM by trev36 »
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 01:49:32 AM »
nevermind... looked at the wiring diagram and answered my own question...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:58:18 AM by jallitt »

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 02:44:59 AM »
picture  looks fine Travis

Dave 

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 03:14:49 AM »
one other point at the probotix interface already has a regulator ,
so this could be used to power the logic side ( i.e the 5v ) of the
KL4030 ( CP PIN ) , so connect pins 7 of each bob axis to the approprate CP pin on the KL4030

then supply a dc voltage to the bob  of between 6.5 and 12v ( because a regulator requires a voltage approx 1.5 > 2v greater than it's output , but most regulators can handle 12v fine , it only means the regulator runs hotter and may require a heatsink )
also as the regulator on the bob is actualy a LM317 it can handle higher voltages in most cases , as the current used is small .

be carefull of your common ( black ) wiring , they should all be connected together on the dc side and not the ac side of the
veroboard ( unclear from the pics ) it appears that you are supplying unregulated ac to the bob this should be a dc voltage
greater than 6.5v ,

can you clarify your veroboard layout

but other than that your layout looks fine as i said

Dave

Dave

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 03:30:14 AM »
You have changed the breakout board - but I am sorry to say that (from thepicture you supplied) you got the cheaper non-isolated version. This is fine, if you have a good knowledge of electrics.

The isolated version of the card splits the card in two electrically, and provides two seperate power inputs - one which you can power from your computer, and one which you can power from your driver board supply.

The board you have bought does not do that. I must urge you again to provide a seperate supply for your breakout board. Not one derived from your driver cards, or one derived from the computer. It can be a plug in telephone charger (if it is the right voltage) or a games console power unit etc - BUT at least it will be electrically isolated.

You are still going for the big bang - good luck

My approach, if I was a little unsure what I was doing, would be to do each part seperately, and certainly connect each axis seperately. I did that when I was starting, and ran everything on my workbench, before trying to assemble a full box of electrics. I have only just now finished my electrics box, because I think of something else to add, and I have been messing around with computers and electronics and electrics for nearly 50 years.

You picture looks very good - but without a wiring diagram of where you have put all the wires, and where the power comes from, I cannot give any opinion.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 07:15:05 AM »
Words to the wise, if you want a quick 5v supply, an old Nokia phone charger does very well. Almost everybody i know has old Nokia chargers kicking about somewhere.

Offline comet

•  336 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 08:22:48 AM »
Hi,
 I always use a pci PPort card and never a opto isolated breakout board.
breakout boards can be more trouble than there worth as you have found out.
hope that helps.
  Comet

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 02:51:09 PM »
be careful with opto isolation boards , a lot of the newer pc's dont like them , especialy laptops
due mostly to the newer 3v logic on the parallel ports

your experience may vary of course

Dave
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 03:42:17 PM »
Hello Dave, Hood and everyone

In the picture to the right of the +5 volt LM7805 I have a LM7812 wich is hard to see but I have that connected to the probotix LM317hv . I also use it to power my fan which is towards the back of the box. I just got around to this today. I haven't had a chance to try anything yet.  So you think I should try just the breakout board with no drives connected first using mach to see if i get step and dir signals out of board. How would I check for this? I'm not that swift with all this. I do have volt meter. Thanks for all the help.

Thanks

Travis