Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:45:10 AM

Author Topic: Fried 2nd Computer (Newbie)  (Read 23406 times)

Fried 2nd Computer (Newbie)
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:39:21 AM »
I'm using ECS motherboard with AMD AM-2 socket 1.9 ghz Sempron CPU 1Gig of DDR2 memory and windows XP SP2 along with C10 breakout board. Everything was fine when I engaged the drives the motors locked and led on the breakout board and drives where on. I connect the paraell port to computer turn computer on then Mach-3 then engage stepper drives and pop goes the breakout board (smoke) and screen flashes and then my computer fried. This is my second computer. Need help. I checked bios prior LPT1 assigned 378 and set to normal. I ran Mach driver test also. My cable is made by Belkin. Mach 3 set up correctly using sherline 1/2 pulse mode for my stepper drives as required. I really need help.

Thanks

Travis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Fried 2nd Computer (Newbie)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 03:00:49 AM »
Sounds like your breakout shorted through your cable, so may have been a faulty board. The idea of a breakout is to protect your computer so that is very disapointing as it seems it has not done so. Check your wiring very carefully on the breakout, I am not familiar with the C10 but if it takes voltage for computer side of Optos as well as voltage for Outpu side  then make sure you have them connected correctly.
Hood

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 03:25:23 AM »
if you can point us towards information on the C10 , a diagram etc , and the power supply your using for the steppers , more information the better , always helps ,  i'm sure we can find the problem
i hope your not trying to power the steppers via the BOB ! , sounds much like an incorrect wiring problem   

Dave

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 04:35:54 AM »
Your are going for the big bang solution (and getting it).

You system should be treated as at least two, if not three seperate pieces.

The first is your computer. The second is your breakout board and minor electronics (limit switches and other bits and bobs), and finally your power house - the motor drivers.

All three are seperate - electrically  - and must not be joined together (with one exception - a single common lead).

Your computer I will leave to you - you seem to know more about them than I do.

I am not a lover of the C10 breakout board - for some reason, all the normal LPT1 inputs and outputs have had their voltages reversed, and it seems to be trying to be all things to all men - but - this board does require a 5 volt power supply. I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU USE A SUPPLY FROM YOUR COMPUTER. If you do, any wiring fault on the board can send power back to your computer and blow it. Use a seperate small 5 volt power suppy.
You must the read the C10 documentation very carefully to get the various jumpers in the correct positions. On LPT1 (as you probably know) you can only have pins 2 - 9 as outputs, 1,14,16 and 17 as outputs and pins 10,11,12,13 asnd 15 as inputs. Make sure the jumpers for these are correct.
The axis are normally run from pins 2,3 4,5 6,7 and 8.9 - the C10 has these arranged with a common wire between then- and the voltage on this common wire can be altered from 0v to +5v. This depends on your driver cards.
I would jumper the "enable"pin to the 5 volt supply - so that your axis are turned on. You can alter it later if you wish.

You can now connect your computer to your Bob (you do not need your machine connected)  and check that you are getting signals too and from. You can certainly see the "dir" pins change voltage. I tend to check mine with an M3 command (M5 to turn off) and alter the pin configuration to test all the output pins. The input pins you can allocate on the Ports and Pins page, and test by putting +5 or 0v in the appropriate pin and checking the diagnostics page.

You driver cards that run your motors are completely seperate. They require whatever voltage you are using, and can be wired seperately. You can turn the power to them "on" and they should "grab" the position and stay there. There is nothing else to say other than they handle quite a lot of power, comparatively speaking, and you should be careful there are no stray "hairs" from you connections making other unwanted connections.

The only connection between your Bob board and your drivers should be a step wire, a direction wire and a common wire to the input side of the driver card. There should be no high voltage connection between the two boards. The 5 volt supply for the BOB should not be derived from the power supply to the steppers.
I use Gecko drives, so they require step,dir and a 5 volt common - switch your Bob. If your drives require step,dir, and a 0v common switch your Bob.

Again, If you have derived your 5 volts from somewhere, then this common switching could easily short your supply. Use a seperate 5 volt power system for your Bob

I think reading between the lines, your problem was the power supply to the Bob - especially with C10 documentation saying that you can use computer power supply or USB. You have then also probably used this supply to switch enable switchs of the motor driver cards, as well as the axis enables on the Bob.

Keep each part seperate - and only join the minimum number of wires - e.g printer cable between computer and Bob, step,dir and common between Bob and driver - and you should prevent the pyrotechnics

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 02:13:49 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to help with this problem.

I am using LM7805 to derive my 5volt supply however it is engaged at the same time as the stepper drive power. Maybe I should have two switches? My power supply is 35VDC 10amp with 27000Uf 50WVDC Cap. It sounds like I need to switch Bob after Mach is online then engage stepper drives. I didn't know voltage where reversed on C10 I changed the jumper to 1&2 ouput . It was by default on 2&3 input. Maybe I should have left the jumper alone. I am using KL-4030 drives from Keling Tech. I only have step and dir. wires coming off of the Bob to the drives. I have enab. and +5 volts tied together and then Grnd on Grnd. I have +5 Volts to the drives logic coming directly from the LM7805 not thru the bob at all. Could this be the problem or should I have left the jumper in default setting. jumper 2 was left common ground but I didn't use it. One thing i did notice is that on power up of Mach the Bob led was on then went off when I flipped the switch to engage the steppers. By that time it was to late smoked bob and fried computer. This is a real puzzle because I have tried other drives and other Bobs and similar problem but instead of the bob and computer being smoked the unipolar drives burned up. Like as stated I'm a newbie and it shows. Really disappointed and running out of money to keep building computers.

Thanks

Travis

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 03:10:02 PM »
it looks like you may have found the problem
also take a look here it may help you further ,

http://www.kelinginc.net/KL-4030Wiring.pdf
http://www.kelinginc.net/KL23H286-20-08B.pdf

i have also private mailed you
give you a chance to check things out further , let me know we should be able to test it all out with out connecting the pc so you wont fry another !

Dave
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 05:12:31 PM »
Ok I have checked everything and double checked.

Question in windows under device manager then LPT1 port , Port Settings "Try not to use as an interrupt" is checked. All other dialog boxes are NOT checked. Is this correct?

Thanks

Travis

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 05:15:39 PM »
should be fine as it is

Dave 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 05:18:36 PM »
Having port settings in Bios or Windows wrong  is not going to do any damage to your PC, it has to be a wiring or cableing fault or faulty hardware where high voltages are present, ie breakout board.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 05:50:41 PM »
Thanks Dave and Hood

I am using the 282 oz in motors. http://www.kelinginc.net/KL23H276-30-8B.pdf

A+ = Blue & Yellow
A- = Green & Red
B+ = Brown & Orange
B- =  Black & White

Is this correct?

Thanks

Travis