Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:39:44 AM

Author Topic: Gauges  (Read 16044 times)

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
Re: Gauges
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 07:46:05 PM »
hood...   I only run large real industrial machines and was deliberately looking for machs vices!

Although I've been watching machs development for a long time, we have only just started to implement it.  Prior to that I ran Ahha systems.

Wayne...

Hood

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 07:53:40 PM »
LOL
I was just pulling your leg. I often do stupid things like that on the home computer just to see what will happen but wouldnt dare do anything like that on the actual mill. I am new to CNC so have a great deal to learn but its amazing howmuch  I have learned in the last year. Still doing stupid things, snapped 3x  6mm carbides today :( still dont know why they snapped as I thought I was pretty conservative on my feeds but I suppose I wasnt.
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 08:00:42 PM »
6mm carbides.   tough call on a series one!   in al alloy i'd be running at 6k on the spindle maybe more.   Small cutters are apain on machines with slower spindles.

I know you were tryin to pull my leg ;)  I was also serious about looking for vices.   My other pet hate is the so called "stop" button on the screen.

Wayne...

Hood

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 08:07:07 PM »
Wayne was running spindle at 1500, feedrate 33mm/min and depth of 2mm, this was in  316, stepped up to an 8mm with feed of 60 and it breezed through it.
 Why the problem with the stop button? TBH I am usually closer to the e-stop but if I am at the screen and something is going wrong I can whack the stop on the screen and it will stop.
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 07:05:17 PM »
Hood.

Ah lovely 316!  I turn tons of that stuff.    What carbide cutters you using?   You really do need good cutters, some of the unbranded stuff around these days are not that good.   Most stainless steels you need to keep the pressure on, if the cutters not working hard enough the material can work harden.

I should of said "reset" button ;)

Normally, most machines do have a reset or shotbolt release control, which is how I think that button should behave. ie just to intialise the program and enable drives etc.

It actually behaves more like an E-stop, with the problems that go with that.   I have a feeling that if it's used to stop a program then lost steps are likely, and I'm led to believe it screws up or resets any work offsets, but I've not verified that yet.

Wayne...

Hood

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 07:22:33 PM »
Most of my work is with 316 in the lathe as well, I love it. Have never done 316 on the mill before under CNC so that is new to me but think you are probably right about the quality of cutter. I ended up using a Sandvik 8mm 4fl on the stainless yesterday and it just breezed through it. I am frightened of pushing things too hard with the CNC but I am getting braver :) I see a big difference in the rigidity of of my Series1 CNC compared to  the manual mill I converted and am starting to take some meatier cuts LOL
 Dont know enough about CNC to give my opinion on the Reset button but basically I use it as an e-stop, whether this is right or wrong I dont know.Only other time I use it is after using the Hold button first, not sure if that is the correct procedure or not.

Hood

Edit
 Now I am awake I better rewrite what I said about Reset and Stop Button.
 I only use the Reset as an E-Stop and the Stop button I only use when a program is running and I want to stop it, but I always press the Hold button before I press the Stop.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 04:04:33 AM by Hood »