Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:54:41 AM

Author Topic: Gauges  (Read 16045 times)

ynneb

Re: Gauges
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 01:00:04 AM »
Wayne, I have stated many times, that my aim is not to do things for prettyness sake, but to make things more easy to identify by groups and appearance. If at the same time you can make it look good the all the better.

My comment about traditionalists is more about that they cant understand that if something isnt grey, it isnt good. Lets face it, if we all had cars that were only useful, but had no prettyness about them, then life would be quite boring, and we might as well all drive around in the one style car.

Many of my screens may not be every ones taste, but they are proof of concept and have inspired others to go out and do better than mine.

Just by doing screens has bought in a lot of changes that make mach a better program. I know of quite a few things that have been implemented as a re********* of my hassling, of recent sliders has now been intrduced too. The fallout from pushing the limits a bit, actuall gives even the traditionalists a better program, not that they would know it, admit it, or even observe it.

The science of ergonomics as you put it, is an evolving science, and something we must keep experimenting with, in order to build upon our existing knowledge.

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 02:30:33 AM »
Thank you for the encouragement and feedback. I hope that very soon I'll have these gauges up and running.

Wayne,
That's a great idea!!!
Recreate "Real World" machine interface layout for Mach 3/4.
If someone was trained using a Hass, Bridgeport, Heidenhain and Mazatrol they would have the same interface when using Mach 3. I like the way you think 8)

When Art comes out with the new -Mach 4 Developers Edition Extreme-(good name for it ;D), I hope to create interfaces that look and feel like real world interfaces(with added bonuses).

I run a cnc machine daily and have been around machines since I was a kid, sweeping up the metal shavings at my fathers work. I'll continue to fumble around with new ideas to make the CNC machining environment safer and more user friendly. I might stumble onto some good idea's along the way :)

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 04:20:08 PM »
Wayne,
That's a great idea!!!
Recreate "Real World" machine interface layout for Mach 3/4.
If someone was trained using a Hass, Bridgeport, Heidenhain and Mazatrol they would have the same interface when using Mach 3. I like the way you think 8)

Well I wasn't quite saying clone them, but that is often done on some of the controls designed for education, especially from companies like Denford and Boxford here in the UK.   They use personality modules which make the machines look and feel like the "big boys" controls.

What I like about some of the screens shown here recently is the clarity provided by  the use of some colours etc, this is only marred by the clutter due to them being based on the original screensets.

Other issues are more serious, and appear in the originals.  an example is the ability to rezero any axis while the machine is RUNNING!   actually pressing that zero button would almost certainly cause a disaster.

I think the only way out of this is to have a hierarchical screen system, where the run screen is nested such that it cannot be possible to access the other screens without stopping the program.   I think Steve Blackmore used something like this on his turn screens for the same reason.

Anyway food for thought.

Wayne...

Hood

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 06:20:29 PM »
How can you zero when the mill is running? I cant do that by trying to zero and axis. Granted it could be done if the program is halted such as for tool change or in hold but while actually running I dont think so.
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 06:35:37 PM »
Hood..

Oh yes it does.   It will finish the current block then BANG the axis relocates to the new coord.

Art may or may not have addresses this yet.   I did mention it at least a month ago, and this was his reply

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Wayne:

Mach3 does not do too much handholding in terms of doing something crasy
like zeroing while running, Steve put alot of thought into the turn screens
to make them idiot-proof, but since Mill is my development test tool, I have
never made it completly idiot proof. (Else I woudlnt be able to use it..  :)

Ill not the zeroing buttons though and stick a safety in there.. (Thanks).
I usually do this one control at a time as the problem is noted..

Thanks,
Art
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 06:44:41 PM by fdos »

Hood

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 07:10:23 PM »
Well must  have done as when I just tried this a minute ago(after I first saw you mention it) it carried on but an error  message popped up saying no Zero while running.
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 07:25:59 PM »
which version you running hood?   I'm not out in the workshop now so can't check.    I'd expect the lockdown versions still have this "feature"!

Hood

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 07:30:08 PM »
im using  1.90.038, will go and load1.84 and see.
Hood

Hood

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 07:38:00 PM »
Just loaded 1.84 and it does indeed zero while running, but TBH what kind of idiot would do that, BTW how did you find out it would do this ;)

Hood

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 07:39:10 PM »
BTW please note that there is a ;) in my previous post.

Hood