Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:14:57 AM

Author Topic: Problems,Problems, Problems, Wiring  (Read 10822 times)

Problems,Problems, Problems, Wiring
« on: May 26, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
I have re wired my set up to a PC case for more room. I copied the factory wiring faithfully, even took pictures. Well after I got done I fired her up and nothing happened. No LED's lit on the Gecko's. Seems that, I had two 5 VDC systems going on. I scraped the USB connection, connected pins 8, 9, 10 to a C-10 BOB from CNC4PC, with attending power supply and still nothing. Then I reverted back to the K2 set up and bingo, I got movement. Dirty, noisy, crunchy movements. This all ran smooth until I decided to move it to a new home.??? I run Gecko 201, HD steppers, C-10 BOB with power supply, Mach3, on a K2CNC 2514 Gantry with a, 1 H.P.  Grizzly VS Router. I also have an XLM document written for me by Brian Barker for my system. How do I get that to work for me again?? HELP please. Tearing my dwindling hair out here.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Problems,Problems, Problems, Wiring
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:29:22 AM »
You seem to be making heavy weather of this - and looking at it as one big wiring problem.

It is, in fact several little wiring problems, each one fairly simple.

I have re wired my set up to a PC case for more room
I am not sure what this means. With Mach 3 there are three basic ways to connect to your P.C. All work, and it depends on your own needs.
1. I have a lead from the computer LPT1 (printer) port to a dumb (no power unit) Break Out Board in my control box.
2. If there are not enough inputs/outputs from your LPT1 port, you might get a commercial port connected to your computer which gives you additional inputs and outputs. This may or may not come with a break out board.
3. You can invest in one of the new smooth steppers, which connect to the P.C. via a USB port (These are new - so I have no idea what USB connection you are referring to, unless it is part of the C10)

I will assume therefore that you have a computer, and have connected it to your C10 breakout board via the printer port cable.

You require a 5 volt supply to the C10 board, which connects to the board on the top right hand side (assuming the printer port cable at the top)
I do not reccomend that you take the 5 volt from your P.C.

At the same time as connecting the 5 volt supply, connect a 5 volt jumper to the enable pin - next to 5v - or you will not get any output from the board.

The paperwork that comes with the C10 is misleading. You cannot get inputs and outputs from all pins, if you are using the computer LPT1 port. If you are using the LPT1 port you are limited to 3 sets of pins - and they cannot be altered for input or output.
Pins 2-9 are outputs only - normally used for connecting to the axis drives (in your case the Geckos)
Pins 1,14,16 and 17 are also outputs only - I use mine to control Spindle motor M3 M4 and M5, together with coolant
Pins 10,11,12,13 and 15 are Inputs to the system - only these 5.
The rest of the wires - 18 to 25 are signal return wires to the computer.

This completes your C10 board. If you connect this to your computer and power up the 5 volt supply, you can test the various pins. My favourite way to do this is (on Config/Ports and Pins/Outputs) allocate M3 and M4 in turn on each pair on pins. By typing in M3 or M4 on the MD! line of Mach 3 you can see the pins change voltage with a voltmeter.

Your Geckos are completely seperate to the BOB and should be treated as such. They should be wired with your supply voltage for the drives and firmly wired to your motors, as per their own diagram. When you turn on their power supply, I think the red led will go on ( I might be wrong on that)

To connect the BOB to the Geckos requires three wires to each drive. These should be taken from the bottom row of pins - 2,common,3 - 4,common,5 - 6,common,7. the numbered pins go to the step and dir on the Gecko, and the common goes to the Gecko common (which is next to the step and dir pins.) The common should be +5 volts, so ensure that the jumpers for pins 2 - 9 common (above pins 4 and 5) are set for 5 volts. The Geckos have a disable pin - leave this unconnected.

This should get you going. Only do one drive at once, do not try and do all three together.

I assume you can then work through Mach and set up the various configurations - if not, come back and we'll have another go.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:25:36 AM »
What I mean to say is I have a salvaged PC case and am using it for my controls. My K2CNC came with a small cramped 8" x 8" x 4" enclosure. I have electro anxiety and sometime react foolishly to it. I will take your advise and take it one step at a time. What about that XML do I drag and drop into my Mach folder????

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:33:47 AM »
I honestly have no idea - since I didn't do it. If Brian did it, it would probably be alright for you then.

There is no problem with an XML file - all it means is a configuration of Mach 3 that you are using. You will be well capable of doing that by the time we are finished. If you are at the machine now, connect up your BOB (have you got a 5 volt power supply for it ???) and we can run through setting up your XML file.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 06:05:33 PM »
I rewired and checked and double checked all my connections and this is the outcome. Only one motor has some movement. That being in only one direction, and, that is limited to ugly, grinding. crunchy movement with a high pitched whine. I can't jog in any axis, in any direction. I've reset the step and direction pinouts to the correct numbers, and, found them in the XML doc. so I know they are correct. When I try to tune the motors  in cofig. Mach will not let me. I simply don't know what to do here. Any ideas or assisance????????? :( :( :(

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 07:15:50 PM »
Please attach your xml.
 Also worth checking is that you are getting voltage out of your port, check with a voltmeter on the Dir pins and make sure they toggle when you jog back and forth. If you have a scope check the pulse on the Step pins when jogging, if not then use the voltmeter on milli volt range just to confirm there is output.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 08:48:08 AM »
Here's my main issue, I don't know what you mean. I have a volt -ohm meter but do not know how to use it. What is meant by toggle, and I need to know exactly where to put the test leads. I know it does seem as though I'm a second grader but my electro anxiety is severely debilitating. Find XML within. Thank you Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 09:25:55 AM »
OK what to do is remove the parallel port cable from your breakout and touch the positive lead to one of your Direction pins and the neg lead to one of the ground pins. You will see a diagram showing the pin numbering layout in the Mach manual and in ports and pins you will see what pin you have set for each axis direction pin. What I mean by toggle is, when you jog one way the voltage will be 5V and when you jog the other it will be 0v.

Will have a look at your xml in a while once I get some more of my work done, my boss is not a slave driver, oops wait thats me :D

Hood
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:19:45 PM by Hood »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 10:49:28 AM »
Had a quick look at your xml and dont see anything wrong, well unless you are not using the correct port address. If you are using a PCI port then you will need to look at the address, if using the motherboards port then the chances are it's correct.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 12:28:08 PM »
OK , I've downloaded all the information about setting up Mach 3, including the latest version, just in case my current version has somehow been corrupted or broken. I will do as much reconfigureation as I can manage on my own. I will make one more attempt to get smooth movement, and check in with you next week. I will let my frustrations calm down, before I abandon permanently, my efforts, at CNC for hobbyists. I'd like to thank you again Hood for your assistance.