Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:28:20 AM

Author Topic: Problem with MPG selection of step resolution  (Read 3564 times)

Problem with MPG selection of step resolution
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:33:37 AM »
I just dusted off my mill after a couple of years, downloaded the latest MACH3 and started to test to make sure everything was OK.  I have an MPG pendent that I built which has two rotary switches. These go into a keyboard emulator (IPAC) then into KeyGrabber (utility software) to pass the appropriate keystrokes to MACH3.  I modified the 1024 standard screen set as follows:

Note:  I'm set to Imperial units

MPG X axis    <ALT X>    OEM Code 259
MPG Y axis    <ALT Y>    OEM Code 260
MPG Z axis    <ALT Z>    OEM Code 261
MPG OFF       <ALT T>    OEM Code 276 (Which I use to turn MPG on/off)

All of the above work, so the scheme is fine
Now the problem is with the rosolution:
.01           <ALT U>    OEM Code 267
.001          <ALT V>    OEM Code 268
.0001         <ALT W>    OEM Code 269

The above values were taken from the standard settings (or at least how I interpeted them) from MACH3 default configuration.

The MPG is calibrated to 4 clicks per detent

The problem:
Regardless of the setting I choose for the resolution, I seem to get about .0014" movement of an axis for each click of the MPG.  I also have a joystick set up and I get the same result from the joystick on step mode (actually, the joystick sometimes steps and sometime not, the MPG always steps.  When the joystick does step it's the same about .0014".

I have not been auditing the group for a while, so if this was addressed before, I appologize.

Any ideas about what's going on and how to fix the problem would be appreciated.

Jeff

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with MPG selection of step resolution
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:30:33 AM »
Sorry dont know if they have been changed and unless someone else does I think Brian would probably be the person to answer this question. One problem is Brian will currently be flying over the Atlantic on his way back from an exhibition in the UK so it will probably be a day or so before he can reply, I will however point out this thread to him unless you get an answer beforehand.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:26:25 AM »
Hi Hood

What exhibition is that may i ask ?

Phil_H
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 01:41:58 PM »
Hi Hood

What exhibition is that may i ask ?

From what I can gather Brian always makes an exhibition of himself
In this instance however he was at the National Model Engineering & Modelling Exhibition 2008 in Harrogate.
Hood