Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:46:09 PM

Author Topic: Potentiometer Input  (Read 3635 times)

Offline SimonD

•  143 143
    • View Profile
Potentiometer Input
« on: May 10, 2008, 04:05:43 PM »
Guys,

Is there a way to get a potentiometer input into Mach3 without using a PLC or ModIO?

I have a feedrate pot on the control panel of my lathe which I would like to connect up if possible however using a PLC or ModIO just for feerate override seems a bit over the top! i have enough other inputs/outputs already using a smoothstepper.

Is there a simple add-on card I can buy?

Thanks
Simon
Re: Potentiometer Input
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 04:45:48 PM »
Hi, If you picked up a usb fighter pilot type joystick most have at least 2 potentiometers as an x,y axis, you could then use keygrabber to interface to Mach. You will probably have to change the type of potentiometer the joystick uses as the one I got had slider types but as long as the resistance is the same you'll be ok.

Hope this helps.

John

Offline SimonD

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 05:30:17 PM »
John,

Thanks for the reply. I already have the potentiometer, I just need to hook it into Mach3 somehow. How does a keygrabber read a potentiometer?

Thanks
Simon
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 05:44:27 PM »
Hi, Have read of the Customising Mach .pdf section 8.1.1 and HID controllers and futher down a section on joysticks.

Very informative and helped me out with the same problem.

Cheers

John

Offline SimonD

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 06:59:49 PM »
John,

Thanks for the pointer, I hadn't, I will have a read. I saw it was for Mach2 and didn't download it.

Thanks
Simon