Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:29:46 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 Steps per unit calculations.  (Read 5188 times)

Mach3 Steps per unit calculations.
« on: May 16, 2006, 09:27:25 PM »
Hi.  I was looking for a project to get my feet wet in php scripting and html forms, and rather than do something pointless, I made an online "steps per unit" calculator for Screw drives (ballscrews, all-thread, etc..) and one for belt drives too.

I know it's not rocket science, but someone may find it useful?

Anyway, if you're curious go here

www.mr-bean.co.uk

Please bare in mind I've only been learning php for 2 days.

Cheers,
MrBean.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 09:30:21 PM by mrbean »
Re: Mach3 Steps per unit calculations.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 10:57:11 PM »
I could be wrong, but I looks like you are dividing the microstep instead of multiplying.
I did 200 Step Per Rev, 20 TPI, and 8 as the Microstep and it came to 80, shouldn't it be 32000? 200x20x8??
 ???

ynneb

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 11:30:46 PM »
Good job Beano, Yeh Ive descided to pull my finegr out and learn C#
The thought is depressing that it may take me many years b4 I can do any thing like a CAM program.
But if I look back after 5 years and wish that I had started now, that thought would be even more depressing.

Keep it up with your learning.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 05:51:06 AM »

I could be wrong, but I looks like you are dividing the microstep instead of multiplying.
I did 200 Step Per Rev, 20 TPI, and 8 as the Microstep and it came to 80, shouldn't it be 32000? 200x20x8??

Hi.  Thanks for trying it out.

The reason you didn't get the figures you were expecting is because you entered (TPI) instead of (pitch)
A 20 tpi screw, has a pitch of 0.05 Inches.

I guess it would be useful to be able to select if you wanted to input "pitch or tpi".  I'll look into adding the choice.

@Benny

I really fancied a go at C# too.  I don't know quite what it is that I don't get about it, but there's something?
Microsofts "Visual" Development enviroment, doesn't do anything for me.  The code seems all dis-jointed.
Also I find it hard to fully grasp the OOP concept. Objects, Classes, methods etc...  It seems like a multidimentional array with bells on, and then some?

Maybe it's just me getting older and the grey matter isn't as absorbant as it used to be, or perhaps I just havn't given it enough effort.  Maybe I'll go back to it.

I hope you find it easier to pick up than I did.

Cheers,
MrBean.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 10:48:37 AM »
Ah, My bad, didn't read it correctly..  :P