Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:27:18 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 and ATC's ?  (Read 13833 times)

Mach 3 and ATC's ?
« on: April 10, 2008, 12:55:55 PM »
Hello,
I have retrofitted a couple of machines with mach 3 and I am thinking of trying my Matsura MC-500V. It has a 16 posistion tool changer I was wondering what is involved with making this work correctly. Would you use a PLC to change the tool and talk to Mach with modbus?
Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 and ATC's ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 07:49:15 PM »
I used a PLC on my lathe, it has front and rear post and turret, 10 positions all together. Used customised M6 macro to operate the PLC over ModBUS. You could also use Brains to talk to a PLC over ModBUS. Some have also used the ModIO board and I think Scott S used the ModBUS stuff from CNC4PC with Brains.
 First thing you need to know is how your changer operates and what signals it needs.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 08:13:24 PM »
Thanks,
I am sure I can make the PLC control the tool changer, I just wanted to know how tough it is to make mach and a PLC talk.
Can you share what your macro looks like? Also do you just use the RS-232 port on the computer to talk modbus to a PLC?
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:16:24 PM by wyo123 »

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 10:42:51 PM »
Yes, you can use a PLC to talk to Mach via modbus and 232, or 485 (with adapter)
You can have the PLC do all the ATC changing work, with mach sending start, and position, and plc sending done.
OR, you can do all the programming as an M6 in mach, and have the PLC just be dumb I/O.

I use ADC 06's PLC's for my complex ATC's, and I use Arturos Modbus boards for less complex systems.
The good thing with the PLC, is you can use the built in counter to count your Encoder counts from your ATC, and then send start/stop to a simple electric motor for a Cheap way. More expensive is a Servo driven system.
You can have mach control that directly or use a HS module.......

there are many options, the question would be make a list of what you want it to do, and how much you want to spend.

pass that info on to us, we can help you with some desicions and codieng help.

scott
fun times

Offline CJEls

•  69 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 02:30:58 PM »
Hi to all

I have a emco compact p6 lathe all is working fine but now I need to get the turret working. It has a 8 station turret.Is it possible to compare your tool DRO to were your turret  is standing and then turn the turret until the feedback from your turret is the same as your DRO.I don`t know any thing about vb programing and Will need help.My signals back from the turret is as follows Tool 1 I1=1,I2=1,I3=1I4=0 ,TOOL 2 I1=1,I2=1,I3=0,I4=0 ECT can you guy`s help me with brains or vb to get this going.               Thanks  cjels

Tool
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 06:05:01 PM »
You can do what this person did for the turret,  he is using a cubloc controller to control the turret through Mach3:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50685&page=15

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 07:07:42 PM »
PLC would be perfect for that, that is more or less what mine is like. Dont know anything about the cubloc but I know its cheaper than a PLC so might be the way to go?
Hood

Offline comet

•  336 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 07:35:30 AM »
hi,
  would it not be easiest to program a PIC to controll the changer? is it possible for mach to sendout a
tool change + toolnumber signal on a second parallel port and wait for a return signal from the changer before it proceeds? to save all this brains and modbus buisness.