Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:55:04 AM

Author Topic: 240v Router/Spindle  (Read 17440 times)

240v Router/Spindle
« on: April 04, 2008, 12:24:16 AM »
I am investigating a suitable router or spindle for my new machine. Ideally it would be nice to have a "Proper Router Spindle" but finances dictate that I will maybe have to settle

for a quality router.

I would like something like a Portacable 7518 3 1/4HP but I am still trying to find out if or where I can find one of these brutes. (They may not import into Australia)

I know Festool, Makita, and Metabo all make plunge routers that are nearly as powerful but they are not so easy to mount

Can anyone point me to other alternatives?

I have built a very robust machine and it deserves a powerful spindle that won't brake the bank!

Bruce

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: 240v Router/Spindle
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 01:18:24 AM »
Hitachi makes a 2.25 HP motor. Model M12VC. Its not listed on the Aussie site, though.
http://www.hitachipowertools.com/store_item.php?iID=235&arrPath=1,12,61,p235,
http://www.hitachi-powertools.com.au/Subcategories.aspx?CATEGORY=Woodworking&SUBCATEGORY=Routers/Trimmers
Personally I would rather have the porter cable. Even then, if you want to cut metal, it will be strained, and the finish cut quality may not satisfy. I use a small porter cable (under 2hp) on aluminum. It works, but forget about doing something quickly with it. If your cutting wood, I don't see any problems with any quality router being used. I remember hearing festool was coming out with a large router, but I haven't looked into it.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 04:40:08 PM »
The Spindle is a very important part on a wood-router - I had build a table and was using very cheap hand-routers - and I tryed a few brand's
They all burn after two -three full days run and max feedrate was around F900 (before they start to loose speed)
with 8mm/bit in 19mmMDF (MDF=medium desity woodfiber --quality loudspeakers use this material)
then I found this :

http://www.made-in-china.com/china-products/productviewclnEdqQyamts/High-Speed-Spindle-Motor.html
brushless watercooled spindles at a very nice prices -

I have tested a 3kw + inverter + waterpump and have run this for around 6month with around 3 to 18 hours runs a day
easy cutting 19mmMDF at F2000 with 8mm/CARBIDbits -  ;D  ;D
I have a 2,2kw for test now - and it also cuts with the same feedrate with no speed-loss -and i think it will run a long time to.
and they all run with 240v 1phase

oeSoeraa

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 02:31:49 AM »
Sounds interesting oddaman,

I have sent an inquiry to the company re specs and prices.

What sort of cost is involved for a spindle, drive and collet system?

Bruce
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 05:32:42 AM »
2,2kw with inverter was around 800 AUD ( I think you are in Australia ).
it is round - with a diameter 80mm ( ask if they can make a sutable clamp to you)
But please see the answer from Wingspread company.
They have changed brand for some of their spindles -
They come with ER20 collets - but ask for everything:
2,2kw spindle + inverter + waterpump +x meters of rubber-tubing
+ 6mm/collet + wrenches - (for some reason they don't have 8mm)
(ask for a set of engravers to.They come with a insert in 6mm collet to 3mm)

I think you will be pleased with this -compared to the hand-router with brushes

And I recomand helix carbide bits - they make a LOT less noise then "normal" bits.
I found good one from http://www.american-carbide.com/
(but you have to order many and shipping cost is high)

oeSoeraa

2,2kw =2,95HP
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 05:38:57 AM by oddamann »
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 05:32:44 AM »
I have done a bit of web surfing, the above spindles they look very cost efective. As you say about $700-$800 for the spindle and drive.

How did you find the company to deal with. Any hassles? At that sort of money it is not much more that a quality hand held router. 240V operation is a bonus.
6mm collet size is a bit limiting, But for 99% of my machining its problably fine.

Bruce
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 06:01:42 AM »
Only good things to say about the Wingspread company -hoperfully you get an anwser from them with prices and so on.
It's a Chinese brand, but the spindle I have testet was very good and still running. Compared to any hand-router it's lot better.
1rpm to 24000rpm - watercooled - no dust blowing other then from the cut it self .

as for collet - you probably find an 8mm insert from a local machine-dealer.
(I use 8mm -just because it a bit stronger at this feedrates 2000mm/min 19mm straight a head)
it's an ER20 collet size and can take a least 16mm collet-insert.

The last spindle was shipped by air and under a week it was up running -( around 140AUD)-

Only thing is to be very spesific when ordering -so everything is asked for and priced.

oeSoeraa

the spindle in action : http://artsound.no/cutting/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 07:58:20 AM by oddamann »
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 09:26:35 AM »
Very impressive O,

Now I am definitely keen.

Do you have a url for the "Wingspread Co" I have only tried Saka-cnc for information.
I googled windspread with no sucsess.
I will be posting some initial movies/still of my machine soon.

Bruce
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 09:49:41 AM »
It look's like they have a new name Shanghai SAKA CNC Equipment Co., Ltd
It's  the same machine on that web page.

They have recently got a web-site. only 80hits
-they did not have a web site before - only on made-in-china.com

http://www.saka-cnc.com/index.php
email:
cncroutersale@yahoo.com

I have sent a mail to them -
oeSoeraa
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:11:44 AM by oddamann »
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 04:24:37 PM »
Thankyou