Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:34:43 AM

Author Topic: Mach Candidate ? ? ?  (Read 12046 times)

Mach Candidate ? ? ?
« on: April 02, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »
Anyone have any experience with one of these?
Series II   Interact 2
I could probably pick it up for 2k as is. Condition unknown but all intact.
HeidenhainTNC 151 Control.
Could it feasibly be switched to Mach if there are electrical/electronic issues ?
Just looking for a project.
Thanks,
RC
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:49:57 PM by Overloaded »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach Candidate ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 09:01:51 PM »
You will probably need to get new drives for it as they will be analogue drives. There were  Step/Dir to Analogue converters for sale a while back but dont think they are made any more, their name was Pixies and Skyko was the maker. I think Rutex also made similar things but have not looked for a while and have never heard anyone using them. One last option is to contact Pete Dunster at CNCteknix, the top boards from his Tek10 drives could be used to convert Step/Dir to Analogue, in fact I did some tests a while back on my lathe with these boards and although didnt get as far as actually using them with Mach I did hook up an encoder to them and turning the encoder caused the motor to turn. Not sure however if Pete sells these boards seperatly or for that matter even recommends they be used in that way.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 11:02:27 PM »
There is also dynamotion controllers that will run analogue drives in real time closed loop with Mach3:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41019

http://dynomotion.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 12:07:21 AM »
Thanks Hood and Dennis,
Kmotion looks good, I understand most of what I found on their site.
The main controller board is 4 axis at 165w.
The amp will supply 2 or 4 axis at 1000w, depending on motor type. And 12v to 55v....I think.
Question:
    What would you estimate the wattage/voltage requirements to be for the system/motors on the machine pictured ?
This may be over my head for now, just getting ready.
I suppose there are many mechanical aspects to consider too. Ways.. Ballscrews....Heck, I might get the price down more.
Thanks,
RC

EXCELLENT Zone thread Dennis...THANKS
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 12:19:11 AM by Overloaded »
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 12:28:41 AM »
One more......well maybe 2..or 3.......................................
Would you guess these axis motors to be brushed or brushless, AC or DC ?
If the motors are OK, would I only need a Gecko for each axis and an adequate power supply ? Or are they big enough ?
May not require the feedback loop. Would be less expensive too.
RC

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:35:45 AM »
RC, this is just a wild guess, but I think they will be brush type DC and way to big for a Gecko.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 12:46:13 AM »
This is the guy I was looking at.

Thanks Brett

What did you end up using on your Hurco ? ADC/DAC
Or did you end up yet ?  :)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 01:06:11 AM »
Well, I'm still in the process of ending.  ;D

I have some jam up little servos and drives that are a great price. New in the box with cables and all I'm dieing to talk about but can't yet. The same guy may be getting some motors that are 2.4 times bigger and at 400 RPM faster. I'm waiting to see how that pans out. These will do a good job I think but to get the rapids, accels, tolerances I want, I think I will have to go bigger. If I was planning on being the only one running the machine, they would be fine as is but hopefully a button smasher will be in front of it more than me. I'm pretty sure you would like these on that series 2. I'm using one of those geckos on my tool chain servo.

Brett 
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 04:17:59 AM »
RC
 I  cant say for sure but would reckon they will be about 140 to 180V  and can be a bit more certain that they will be DC brushed servos, so if you have to compromise on the voltage you will be losing speed.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 09:59:03 AM »
Hi All

I finished up a Series 1 interact with Geckos and mach 3 (Almost the identical machine pictured)  Works perfect  Yes it is a little slower. but how often do you need 100 IPM + if it is a hobby machine I highly recomend the conversion. A production machine maybe not. it was quite a complicated swap. if you don't know a lot about wiring you may have some trouble.  3 gecko 340s  80V power supply and a cnc 4pc breakout board and the origional SEM motors. the resolvers need to be changed to encoders   I got them from US Digital.  I first used the origional drives with a Pixie step direction converter that was a waste of a month.
  Doug Schwochert
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 10:02:56 AM by ABHELI »