Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:23:46 AM

Author Topic: Mach is turning the wrong motors, outputing on wrong pins!  (Read 6745 times)

Mach is turning the wrong motors, outputing on wrong pins!
« on: March 21, 2008, 04:47:29 PM »
Hey all, I've been working on this for a few days now, trying to find the problem myself ,but I cannot figure it out.

I have the X axis set up for pins 2, 3, but when I  jog the X axis, I get output on pins 6, 7 and the Z motor turns.
I have the Z axis set up for pins 6, 7, but when I Jog the Z axis, I get output on pins 8, 9 and the A motor turns.
I have the A axis set up for pins 8, 9, but When I jog the A axis, I get output on pins 2, 3 and the X motor turns.
The Y axis is working correctly, though the travel is off by a factor of 4.
For every 5" of travel the DRO shows 20". I'm quite sure I have the steps per unit set correctly.
When I change the pin assignments in Config, I get the same results as if nothing was changed.
When I change the pin assignments in Config and save settings, the .xml file does not show the changes.
I have tried two different computers, same results.
I'm currently running a fresh install of XP on a P3 1Ghz, 512M RAM, Mach 3 lockdown demo, no other softwre installed.
The driver test passes.
I have checked the parallel port outputs with a scope to confirm that this is not an external hardware or cable problem.
I will attach the .xml.
Please advise.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach is turning the wrong motors, outputing on wrong pins!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 07:15:17 PM »
Is this a Licenced version?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 12:38:09 AM »
No, it is the demo version.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 04:39:01 AM »
I use the demo version without any problems.

You say the jogging is off - but what about code. does a G0 on the x axis produce x axis movement, similarly with the others.

The only thing I can think of is check you jog configurations on the Config/Hotkeys page.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 12:15:19 PM »
I fully intend to buy a liscence, it has been in the budget since the planning stages of the project, but it would be nice to know that I can get it working with my system before purchasing. I think Mach is the way to go, I really want it to work.

I do have the problem with G code as well, not just jogging. G0 X5 puts pulses on pin 6 and moves the Z motor.

I ran the drivertest again and noticed a problem with the waveform. I'm not sure what it means. I don't know if it just started or if it's been there all along and I didn't see it. I'll post screenshots of the drivertest with the original driver and the special driver installed.

I'll also post a screenshot of the pin config settings and the resulting xml file. I noticed that the xml file doesn't update until Mach is closed, is that normal?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 12:20:09 PM »
When I change the pin config as shown below, it doesn't change the outputs at all. It also does not seem to change the xml file, but I may be looking at the wrong lines. Here's a shot of the pin configs changed, and the resulting xml file.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 01:56:30 PM »
I just reinstalled Mach from a fresh download and reconfigured all of the motor settings starting from scratch. It's working great now! I don't know if it was a bad install the first three times or if I had something set wrong, but a fresh start got it working. The Drivertest waveform still looks shakey, but the motors seem to run fine. Where do I send the money?  ;D

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 02:27:54 PM »
I just reinstalled Mach from a fresh download and reconfigured all of the motor settings starting from scratch. It's working great now! I don't know if it was a bad install the first three times or if I had something set wrong, but a fresh start got it working. The Drivertest waveform still looks shakey, but the motors seem to run fine. Where do I send the money?  ;D

You're .xml file may have been set to read only.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 04:30:17 PM »
You know that could be it. I remember reading something about that happening when you burn the program to a CD, which is exactly what I did the first time. I also installed it from the CD, I did not copy it to the hard drive first. This last time I downloaded it to a USB flash drive, then copied it from there to the hard drive of the machine PC before installing. I guess that's what made the difference.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm sure I'll be back. I'm ready to take the machine apart for final welding and painting now that I know everything works.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 04:31:41 PM »
I think you better try and sort out that drive test, If you look at the downloads page there is an optimisation  llist with steps you can try. Running a CNC from the computer the way it is at the moment could be dodgy.
Hood