Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:26:19 AM

Author Topic: I've started at last.....  (Read 5330 times)

I've started at last.....
« on: March 15, 2008, 09:04:56 PM »
Finally I've finished the other project I've been working on and have got around to starting on my Hurco KMB-1x retrofit.

I've got my drives from Rutex and am waiting for a LCD touchscreen and 2.0Ghx PC (From Ebay of course  ;D)

I stripped out all the redundant wiring/cards etc today and actually fitted a couple of wires to the drives :P

Watch this space for a stream of stupid questions!

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: I've started at last.....
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 12:58:28 PM »
We wait, with baited breath, so that we can pounce on your every post, and offer our advice !!! ;D ::) :-\ :) 8)
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:23:43 PM »
Hey Matt, you got any pictures? No larger than 800 X 600 please. I'm working on an old Hurco my self.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:18:50 PM »
I'll take some Pics tomorrow.

Glad to hear someone else is also working on a Hurco.  Which model do you have and what drives are you using?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 08:25:52 PM »
I have no idea what model it is. Haven't even looked yet.  ::) Here is a link to it.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,5944.0.html

As far as the drives, I'm not sure yet. I'm biteing at the bits to tell about some new drives and servos that the video was shot useing, but still need to do some more testing. I hope I can talk about it next week.

Brett

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 08:31:13 PM by Chaoticone »

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 04:26:53 PM »
Here's some pics of the old girl:

The guys I bought it off said it was a really nice machine until the electronics died. They were sad to see it go.

I've gutted most of the bits that I'm sure I dont need (and probably a few that I do!!)

Now for the first stupid question.....

The servomate control takes 60v ac in and then converts this to 80v DC to run the axis motors on the fault logic board.

Can I use this board on its own to provide the 80v DC that I need or will I have to get another source for the motor power?
ie will this board run without the axis cards connected to it or is it going to be more trouble than its worth?

I'm keeping the other powersupply board (half way down) as that's got the 5vdc and 24v DC that I need.  Also going to keep the relay board and hopefully the limit switch board will convert the signal from the optical limit switches into a direct switch for the Rutex drives.

I've got an inverter coming tomorrow to run the spindle speed and the PC and touchscreen will hopefully be here ina  couple of days.

I've run the VGA, mouse and keyboard leads up to the console (They are coiled up in the bottom, bit longer than I need but I had them in a box).

All looks a bit of a mess at the moment! Especially with my masking tape labels :)

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 07:13:41 PM »
I think I may have sorted the supply problem. Hopefully I can remove the rectifier and heatsink from the board and use the big blue capacitor for the 80v supply.

Just waiting for my electronics man to confirm (I'm Ok with computers and mechanical stuff, its just the wires that confuse me  ??? )

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 08:25:48 PM »
I have always thought it would be better if you could see the electric in the wires, like bubbles in water.  It has usually turned to smoke when I get to see it.  :D :D :D

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:01:41 AM »
Looking good Matt. I think yours may be newer than mine. When I got it some of the components had been robbed for another machine. So I spent a few hours cutting wires and stacking bits on the floor.  :)  The only things I'll be using of the original controls are all the limit switches, servo, encoder and power supply for tool chain. Do you have any docs on yours by chance?

LOL Graham, so true.

Brett

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 08:03:57 AM »
Meant to ask, what size, type tool holders does yours use?

Brett