Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:44:38 PM

Author Topic: Chads new machine  (Read 54886 times)

Offline eloid

•  33 33
    • View Profile
Re: Chads new machine
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2008, 09:56:17 PM »
chad any video or updates of your machine and other axis?

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2008, 11:44:01 PM »
Unfortunately no. I have been cutting LOTS of aluminum on my other machines and have been really busy. I am going to start going through the 5 axis head pretty soon and go over the drawings and get it back in the loop. I haven't even turned on that machine in months. :(

Chad

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 12:50:48 AM »
I think it is like wine. Getting better all the time even if it's just sitting there.  ;)

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2008, 04:46:10 PM »
machine looks great but got some basic questions for you.
I'm trying to do something similar (machining large molds and plugs)

-How did you picked up the required 10x12x4' machine work area?
except for aircraft part, I really cannot find any part enough large to require this size
Even if a part was big enough, with 5 axis it would be quite easy to create 2 molds to join together.

-do you have a cost breakdown somewhere you can share?

-why did you went with the "X axis motion" legs moving instead of fixed?
(aka why classic gantry over overhead gantry style)

thanks, math

Offline chad

•  361 361
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2008, 02:11:59 PM »
machine looks great but got some basic questions for you.
I'm trying to do something similar (machining large molds and plugs)

-How did you picked up the required 10x12x4' machine work area?
except for aircraft part, I really cannot find any part enough large to require this size
Even if a part was big enough, with 5 axis it would be quite easy to create 2 molds to join together.

-do you have a cost breakdown somewhere you can share?

-why did you went with the "X axis motion" legs moving instead of fixed?
(aka why classic gantry over overhead gantry style)

thanks, math

We were making parts for our F1000 race cars. The goal was to make a new body, so the dimensions were chosen for that. We have made wings, diffusers, and under trays. The under tray used most of the cutting area so we were glad that it it was that big.

Cost: ~30k

We went with the moving gantry design because the space required for a moving table, roughly twice that of a moving gantry would not fit in our shop.

Chaoticone: lol I have been slowly working on the drawings and we are working on version 2. Now We just mach to support the 5 axis kinematics. Brian ?? ;)

Chad

Offline chad

•  361 361
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2008, 06:16:43 AM »
Rich, Thanks for the kind words.

I certainly am not an engineer, although I did stay at a holiday inn last night. Any way this machine was a big learning experience for me.
I have been busy with cutting metal on the other machines but we are  planning on getting back on the big one.
I have started penciling revisions for version 2 and should start getting them into solid works soon. We have a full office premium seat and I have yet to touch simulation or cosmos yet.
Assuming I can figure out the other modules I then have to try to translate engineer numbers into something I can get my head around. Hopefully I can simulate out some of the big gotchas before I actually build it this time.
All in all the damn thing works pretty well for a first version. The second has lots of changes. AC servos, smooth stepper, get the 5 axis working correct, stiffened up everything, way faster rapids, rack and pinion, on and on.....

Darn it, now you have me thinking. Ok so this is what I would think would be needed to simulate a resonance please don't laugh too hard and correct me me when I make a fool out of myself.

1) 3d model everything, assign mass properties- done
2) apply a static load to the tool bit ( to simulate cutting force) I have no idea how to start to figure out how much force it takes to cut through mdf at a given flute quantity-diameter, rpm, ipm, wood density, depth/ cutter engagement.
3) assign waveform oscillation (sin?) to tool bit ( to simulate two flute cutter going through mdf) lets say 24k rpm so that would be 24k*2/60=800hz? fundamental?
4) Watch the pretty animated graphics from cosmos, scratch head.

Chad
 ???
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 06:22:13 AM by chad »
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2010, 03:44:44 AM »
chad have you made any progress? If not, pm me. I might have a buyer.

Mike