Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:40:01 PM

Author Topic: A million dollars to the person that can help me.  (Read 7899 times)

A million dollars to the person that can help me.
« on: February 21, 2008, 06:37:08 PM »
Hi

I started mach3 and the machine. As soon as the power was on to the system. All axes took off on their own. I just did
a mach3 driver test and it seems to be fine. How to I fix this problem. I`ve been using the machine with no problems for a long time
without problems.I`m using machh3 version 2.6. I`m also using the sound logic encdoer interface for servos on my machine. Also, no
changes have been to the xml config files or any modifications to the wiring of the system. It would be great if I could troubleshoot
the control panel with system powered up. That`s a bit difficult to do when the power is applied and all axes want to crash into the
machine frame. Sometimes this DIY stuff is a big pain in the ass.

Barry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: A million dollars to the person that can help me.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:40:50 PM »
remove the motors from the machine then you can power up and trouble shoot.
What type of testing gear do you have? ie do you have a scope? a voltmeter?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 07:15:55 PM »
Hi Hood

That`s a very intelligent answer. This problem made me so mad I can`t think straight.
I have both testing devices. Problems are the biggest pitfall with DIY CNC . There
are limited troubleshoot tips from some of the retailers of these products. I do have a difficult time
troubleshooting circuits that I have no idea how they work. Am I wrong here.
Some of the people that sell their boards have great troubleshooting help. And other
retailer have no troubleshooting information. It seems everyone`s lives would be easier if
thses products have more info provided at the site from which these products are sold.

Thanks alot

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »
first thing I would check is that the paralell port isnt putting out a constant stream to all axis. That will eliminate either your control harware or your computer from the fault finding depending on the results.
 You can use a scope or the voltmeter for that, scope being the best.
Hood

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:11:50 PM »
if you have servos, and your encouder feed backs may make your motors fly off.
fun times

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 11:07:02 PM »
Hi, Barry

Sounds like you've lost the 5 volts to your encoders, If you haven't changed any thing, That's the first place to look.

Disconnect the pos. leads to ro your servos or uncouple them from driving your axises.

Some servo controls will runaway without the A/B encoder feedback.

Its smiler to having the polarity backwards on a servomotor in relationship to the encoder feedback, The more the motor/encoder turns the more the feedback/error it gets and the faster the motor turns, But in this case the encoder count limit will usually trip the servo control.

Hope this Helps, Chip

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 11:50:01 PM »
I'm interested in seeing which one of you get's the $$ first! ;D

Never had servo's but my immediate thought when I read the description was no encoder feedback.

Mike

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 05:48:18 PM »
Hi, Barry

You never!! responded to the help "start" hear, Starting a new Post isn't going to fix it !!

Sounds like you've lost the 5 volts to your encoders, If you haven't changed any thing, That's the first place to look.

Disconnect the pos. leads to your servo motors.

On your Gecko's, Check from Gnd to Encoder + terminal for 5 volt's, If you don't have power to the encoder's it's not going to work.

If the encoder's have power, Check the A & B encoder terminals on the Gecko's,  Gnd to A & Gnd to B for 5 volt's then 0 volt's by turning the servo shaft

slowly, If thy are both good, Swap the A, B, encoder wires around, Reconnect the pos. lead to the servo motor and re-set it, Should lock-up and hold

position. Turn the power off when connecting or disconnecting wire's.

Thanks, Chip

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 03:55:49 AM »
The offer of a "million" sure did the trick !!!

I've never seen as many orange and red flashes on a post in such a short time - or were we all having a weekend on the computer.

As long as this post isn't a reply to "prices for one on one technical support" :D :D :-\
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:58:40 AM by jimpinder »
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
Re: A million dollars....More Info
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 05:43:38 PM »
Hi
DC was working after I found a connection I must have bumped. I now have 54 VDC to the geckos.
I did a test of the encoder A and B referecing from the - encoder on the G320. I see a reading of 5.2 volts
I checked the Ground to 5 volt on the plug end at the encoder I see 4.9 volts

Note: Removed encoder interface card`s parallel cable from the machine. And the result
was the X axis does not runaway and I have a normal servo noise. If I attach both encoder
and breakout parallel cables I have a runaway.