Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:03:44 AM

Author Topic: Emco Turn 120P  (Read 27095 times)

Re: Emco Turn 120P
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 07:45:49 PM »
are you in the US or another 120/208Vac Country ?? this would explain the transformer box, used to kick up the voltage to 240/440 ??

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 05:22:43 AM »
I'm in the Uk and it was reducing the voltage but I can't remember what to!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 04:22:24 AM »
Hi there,

Very I am very interested in this post as I am currently in the process of upgrading a 120 myself. I completely agree with HurcoMatt the emco stepper boards are unreliable and have a tendancy to "pop" every now and then. Even better, Emco have now discontinued the service for them and components are becoming hard to come by. HK can supply you with a refurbished step board somewhere in the region of £1000 GBP if it goes down but they come with no warranty.

I am in the process of developing a new microprocessor based controller for the steppers, so far it is looking good. The DC spindle can be hooked up to a Parker SSD unit from inverterdrives.co.uk the 514 series is what you are looking for as it is a 4Q drive and just use the armature voltage feedback connection within the motor for the speed control.

Mike
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 03:48:54 PM »
Hi Mike

Things have moved on a bit..but not enough, work keeps getting in the way

I decided to go for AC spindle drive (Hitachi as I have other machines with it) so a 2kw motor and inverter, this all works fine up to 3k rpm
the axis are still on the Emco stepper drive, as long as they work I will keep them.(thanks for the info on replacement cost...cant see me using them)

I have chopped the card frame in pieces and interface to the stepper cards from a custom breakout board , I used the same driver circuit as Emco used
to drive the stepper. 7407 all this has been proven...
I then changed the control box as it now lives under the machine in the back (box is actually upside down/back to front)
this gives me ample room for a comell ITX board, inverter and two stepper drives with original transformer on top.

I finished the mechanicals and sensor fixing last weekend, so part of this weekend will be wiring the thing up
I need to finish the custom breakout board as it uses a cubloc for the extra signals. in their wisdom cubloc has been made using a 2mm pitch connector, not quite suitable for Vero board, so I need to engrave a conversion board (CNC mill)

I still need to sort out the collet chuck which I would love to automate (have lot of repetitive work from bar) hence the cubloc

I am also keeping an eye out for smoothstepper as it may help in the speeds (no lathe support yet)

I'll see if I can post a few pics latter on the weekend

what stage are you with the control?, is there a reason why you design your own stepper drive ? (other then 5 phase)
apparently Berger larh does sell them, if you ask nicely, I do not know what price

JB
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 06:37:27 AM »
Hi,
I just picked up a 120P that had no control and no spindle motor. I have a Grizzly 9x20 lathe I already converted to Mach and this lathe is next!

Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram of the toolchanger sensors?

wantcnc,
How is your conversion going?

Thank you for any  help,
Cutmore
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 09:18:22 AM »
I just bought EMCO Turn 120 P vith ET 02 control. when I turn it on everything was ok. then asked to insert a floppy disc. when I threw it asked me to format, I pressed YES, after that they came on the screen horizontal and vertical lines. Now can not do anything. I managed to run a tool to turn, and fluid.
Please help me what to do. Thank uapred. Greetings from Pedja
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:28:27 AM by pedjakca »

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 03:37:13 AM »
hi,

i converted my emcoturn 120 to Mach3, see the movies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdTUxK7ABM

i changed the DC motor to an asynchronus 400Vac motor with VFD. the VFD is controlled by mach3
i used the original steppermotors (5 phase) with new Berger Lahr drives

tantan
The Netherlands
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 05:30:44 AM »
Hi

I am looking for users manual for Emco Turno 120P

Thanks a LOT

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 09:35:28 AM »
if someone wants new 5 phase berger lahr steppermotor cards; i sell them now on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250576577576&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 09:27:10 PM »
Do you know what year your machine is ?