Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:23:38 AM

Author Topic: setting up a reflective object sensor for dummy's  (Read 35953 times)

Re: setting up a reflective object sensor for dummy's
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »
alright I put a pull up resistor as was discussed (between blue and white wires). and it got a little better.
where would I put a pull down resistor.( between blue and green?)
I removed the .1 uf capcitor and everything is still the same so I guess that wasnt helping things.
heh and they say it takes a village to raise a child, what about teaching a rooky to hook up a tach? ;)
Chris

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »
I am certainly no expert with electroncs but I thought the 10K was integral to the Opto switch and that is why it was suitable for this use.
Hood
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2008, 03:21:02 PM »
umm? not really sure what you mean.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2008, 03:24:35 PM »
Well the way I thought was that opto had the 10K pull up inside it so there was no need to add one. As I said I am clueless when it comes to electronics (and most other things ;) ) so I could well be wrong.
Hood
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2008, 03:27:23 PM »
ahh well It isnt working either way so I dont see how it matters for me at the moment. any chance that the 12 volts circuit is the problem. would I need a different sized pull/down resistor?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »
Is there any way you can connect with 5v and put it through a different input on your breakout? Does your breakout have any 5v inputs?
Another option would be to connect it direct to the parallel port but this would mean either using a second port or hacking into your cable to gain access to the wire for that pin. BTW if you do connect direct make sure you only have 5V.
Hood
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2008, 03:42:23 PM »
well there was the suggestion somebody had about using a 5V regulator to drop the voltage. not sure if the input would still be able to see it if it was set up for 12v? I am really in uncharted waters here.
Im also not really thrilled about the idea if hacking apart my cable to get at the pin.
I guess as a last resort I could add a second parallel port just for the tach but that would seem to me to be a waste.
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2008, 03:47:46 PM »
Hood, I wasn't sure if the pullup was in the unit or not. I just thought that by adding one we would be sure that there was nothing floating.

Chris, you either use a pullup to pull the signal high or a pulldown to pull it low.... not both.
In an "active low" circuit, a pull "up" is used.
In an "active  high" circuit, a pull "down" is used.
I hope I'm not complicating matters here, just trying to help.
RC
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2008, 03:51:46 PM »
here is the pdf for the break out board.
http://campbelldesigns.net/files/Combo-board-Mach3m-rev2.pdf
Chris
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »
complicating, No. Either way, Im learning alot.
Chris