Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:47:52 AM

Author Topic: New BOB, what do I choose  (Read 3709 times)

New BOB, what do I choose
« on: January 11, 2008, 06:18:23 PM »
Hi guys

I need a breakoutboard for my second paralell port to make the buttons on my controlpanel connect to my computer.

Do I need a seperate BOB, or can I use the +5v on the other bob as long as i connect the grd´s, or  is there a common ground in the pc that takes care of this?
Of course this would not be isolated in anyway, but can it be done?

I run a secondary paralellport driving 2 servos in step/dir, and a driver/bob for the stepper on the z axis.
This bob only have homing, limit/emergency input and 3 outputs.

Running my machine today wit just an old printercable stripped at the end and the wires connected directly, but as I understand I need a BOB to get my 5v from the specific paralell port , as i dont see any +5v on the paralell port pinout.

I guess the 5v on the other port/bob is transformed from the powersupply on the board, am I correct+

So need a tip of what BOB to get to make this good, easy fast and cheap....hmmmm possible?... dont know, but the fast part could be nice:)

Bring it on guys, what do you recomed for a BOB intended only for I/O

Live in Europe so if anyone have any suppliers ther it is also interesting

Best reg
Cory
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 06:28:48 PM by corydoras »

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: New BOB, what do I choose
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 06:24:15 AM »
I used this one for my second port, just have buttons and a mpg connected to it.

http://www.routoutcnc.co.uk/quickconnect.htm

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
Re: New BOB, what do I choose
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »
Thanx Graham

Just what I was looking for

But for now i have just stripped the printercable and connected them to terminal blocks in the electrical cabinet.

Played around a little with the wires and found out that i did not need a +5v, kust connected the input wire/pin to ground and then I got the signal.

Is this the way to do it?

BTW what does the emulate function do in the ports and pin setup of inputs?

Best reg
Cory