Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:40:56 AM

Author Topic: Tool Change  (Read 11324 times)

Tool Change
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:22:06 AM »
Hello everyone,
I'm wondering if there is a way to make a tool change just by putting in "T#".  Right now, the way I make a tool change I have to put in "T1 M6 G43 H1"  That whole string could be done with just T1. Every other control I've used just needs T1 and it pulls in the offset and diameter for that tool.  Is there a way to make this possible with mach 3?  Thanks!
-Leith
Re: Tool Change
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:44:59 AM »
Leith,
If you haven't done so, download the manual below.

http://www.machsupport.com/documentation/Using3Turn.pdf

Then check out the chapter illustrated. It should answer all of your questions.
If not, there's plenty of help here.
RC

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:54:40 AM »
As far as I understand it, lathes use T0101 which is the tool number and the offset table all in one e.g. you could have T0402 - tool 4 with offset 2.

Mach 3 Mill uses M6 T4.  Again as far as I know all the offsets are included in the tool table for each tool, so I cannot see that you need to include the length offset seperately. I though G43 applied throughout the program, so you could turn it on at the beginning and turn it off at the end.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 10:57:21 AM »
The problem is when I put in "T1" nothing changes.  Unless...  I have to put in M6 after T1 in order to get the software to recognize the toolchange.  Also, it won't pull in a height offset unless I use
"G43 H#."  It should be able to just use the T1 to pull in the diameter/height offsets for that tool number.  It should also show that there was a tool change (show new tool number in the box) when I just put in T#.  Thanks again.
-Leith
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:03:30 AM »
So you are saying G43 is modal? I input it at the beginning of every program? That is simple enough and I will try it. The only problem is I have been required to make an "H#" comment for the program to recognize the height change. I cannot get the program to pull in the "H" for that tool without stating an "H#". Other programs I am using pull in all of the information from the Tool Table when I simply type "T#" into the program. Is Mach 3 different?
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 11:04:27 AM »
Do you have it set-up in the tool table ?

Ooops, your post came in first....disregard.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:07:00 AM by Overloaded »
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »
Yes
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 11:16:26 AM »
I'm learning along with you.
Thanks,
RC
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:31:01 AM by Overloaded »

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »
Make sure your tool offset is ticked as persistant in General Config.

I must admit to having some trouble with this as well - and the problem seemd to be that Mach 3 was ignoring the T** command. I put it in as a command, but the tool DRO did not change.

In Mach 3 Mill you must put in M6 T** - and make sure the ignore tool change box is not ticked in Config. I have mine as stop and wait for restart - so that I can check that the tool change has taken place ( and Mach 3 has registered it) I have a quick change tool post, so I know the tool is right, but it must be in the tool DRO or you don't get the offsets.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 02:52:29 PM »
Ok, I've been looking around the forums and have noticed instances where people have had similar issues.  I'm starting to think this is a problem of syntax and/or ignorance.  Last night I played with the machine and found that I have to use G43 H# in order to pull in the height offset.  I tried putting the g43 at the beginning of the program and still couldn't get it to pull in the height offset.  G43 is NOT modal.  At least not the way I understand it to be.  I have to use the G43 every time I want to change tools.  Sure, it stays on, but I have to use it again when I make another tool change.  Also, one thing I don't understand is when I use the M6 T#, what does it do?  Does it actually pull in the diameter offset for that tool or does it only make the program display the tool number in the window? 

What I think the software should do...

When I put in T1, it should pull in both the diameter and height offset for tool 1.  I don't understand why I have to put in all this other stuff when using a simple T# command could do all of it in one go.  Why can't the software do this?  Can I make a macro or change something to make this possible?  I don't know much about coding but I am learning.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks!