Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:14:22 PM

Author Topic: HELP!!! with LPT3 port  (Read 10860 times)

HELP!!! with LPT3 port
« on: December 31, 2007, 04:37:05 PM »
HI... I'm new to Mach 3. My problem is my old computer crashed.. I bought a new computer and had to purchase a ExpressCard to plug into the Mach 3 controller. My problem is I can't get the Mach 3 program to see the LPT3 port. I tried to run the special driver and the only thing it does is input 0X0 into the port window. Has any one ran into this problem before.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!! with LPT3 port
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:09:20 PM »
Ok first thing is to revert to the normal driver, you will find it in the Mach 3 folder, think its called OriginalDriver.
 Next you need to go to device manager and look at LPT3 (or whatever your port is named as ) and look in the properties then  resources tab, take a note of the first four digits. Go to Mach and under ports and pins enter them into Port 1 address. You should now be working.
Hood

Offline Heian

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:30:17 AM »
Hi,
       Im trying to add a second parallel port to my comp. im using a Pci1p epp/ecp Parallel pci card from Startech.com. There are no jumpers on the board to address it, the board was installed and it has a pci address, i can't assign a 278h to it in the device manager. I tryed adding the adreess in the box on the second port set up on Mach3 , but it did not work. I tyred changeing it in the bios, but again no option. If any one can help let me know.
Thanks jp

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 01:40:30 PM »
JP
 I am not sure what you are saying, where do you get the 278h address from? is that the address in device manager under the pci portsresources tab?
 If it is then it should work, I have however found a few PCI cards that will only work as normal ports, ie you can't change pins 2-9 as Inputs. On these cards I changed the use of them so that the normal motherboard Port was used as the second port and the PCI the first.

Hood

Offline Heian

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 02:43:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply,  Hood

Im not sure most of the time myself. But anyway the cards address in the device manager is Location: Location 1028 (PCI EPP/ ECP Parallel Port 1). The only thing i can change in the drvice manager is the Lpt 3 To Lpt2.  Lpt 1 is my on Mother board and is adressed as 378-037F Which is controlling my step ad direction outputs and a homing switches and it is working prefectly.  In Mach 3 I tryed adding the Location 1028 In a few different ways Example 0x1028 ,1028 L1028 . Mach did not have output to this port no mater what i tryed.  I need this other port to control 5 relays for 5 drills that are on the machine.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 03:13:25 PM »
Its the resources tab you want to look in for the address, heres a screenshot of mine with the numbers of mine circled, yours will be different.
Hood

Offline Heian

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 05:04:23 PM »
Hood the resources tab is not there, for this device. Its there for my other port but not the pci port, I have general,Port settings,driver,details thats it. What happened to the good old days of setting jumpers. I beginning to think this pci card is not worth having.

I've been reading some of the other posts about pci parallel cards, it seams that what i need is not there. Im not new to this stuff, But this ones got me stumped.

by the way hood , i want to try your sereen set for the touch screen on the downloads page, any problems
Thanks again J P

p.s.   I think im going with a board from rodgersmachine

Here are some of the responses from Startech support.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 2:25 PM
To: J Pieszala
Subject: RE: Support E-mail From Web Site - PCI1P

Dear J:

Thank you for your inquiry! We are sorry to hear about your technical difficulty.  Unfortunately, the drivers do not have anything to do with the resource assignment of PCI cards, they are assigned by Windows automatically.  The only way to change them would be through Windows, but by default, this ability is disabled by Microsoft for security/safety reasons.  Technically, if you were to bypass this and change the resource assignments, it will work, but it is not supported by StarTech.com. 

If you have any further questions, please contact us.

Sincerely,

Ray Aoki
Technical Support Team
StarTech.com
Tel: 519 455-9675
Tel: 800 265-1844
Fax: 519 455-9425

StarTech.com
"The professionals' source for
hard-to-find computer parts."

Can the bypass be done in the bios or is it directly in windows, and do you have a board that jumpers can be set to address 278 or forced to a specific address
Thanks JP

Dear J:

Through the BIOS you may be able to change the IRQ assignment, but the memory I/O range will be Windows.  Since PCI is plug and play, resource assignments cannot be forced by the card or drivers.

If you have any further questions, please contact us.

Sincerely,

Ray Aoki
Technical Support Team
StarTech.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 05:11:46 PM »
Thats a weird one, never seen that before. Have you tried uninstalling it from device manager and rebooting so it gets found again by Windows? Also try moving it to a different PCI slot, sometimes mobos dont like certain devices in certain slots.

No problems as far as I know with the screenset, I have been using it for a long time now and it suits the way I work very wel but may not suit others..

Hood

Offline Heian

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 05:28:50 PM »
Im going to the shop tonight and i am going to try some different things, un installing , then reinstall with auto set up off in bios, move the card, putting it in another comp.  I hope this is not a mother board issue. the board is fairly new, never would have found the problem if i dident need the second port. Im running the machine with geck 320s at 83 volts and 10,000 ppr incoders, mach speed is set at 60,000 and my setps per inch is 20,353.2 . belive me i have had my share of problems trying to tune this system.

This is what i see mach is all about, the people in the community. I have some very large machines with high end fanuc systems and i will have these all on mach before the end of 2008

I'll let you know how i make out.  Thanks Again.  Jp (Heian)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 05:36:45 PM »
Dont think it will be a mobo problem as such, just some are picky about which slot you use, might not even be the problem but just thought I would say as I have seen that in the past.
 Good luck and hope you get things sorted.

Hood