Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:29:59 AM

Author Topic: New Computer, Now Mach won't run my machine!  (Read 6936 times)

New Computer, Now Mach won't run my machine!
« on: December 23, 2007, 11:35:48 PM »
I recently had to change the computer out due to failure of the old one (boot disc failure) and the new one is using the same OS (WinnXP with SP2)  as the old one.  I am (or was) controlling a CNC router with Mach 3 ver 1.90. Yesterday I downloaded the latest version and am still having the same problems. I have also added an PCI011H-EP1 parallel port card with the latest drivers.
Attached is my xml file. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as I am lost at this time.
LP

Offline Bodini

•  216 216
    • View Profile
Re: New Computer, Now Mach won't run my machine!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 12:05:12 AM »
Your new computer has different port addresses than the old one... as in, the old xml isnt just a copy and paste.  Am I right?

-Nick

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 02:54:27 AM »
Hi, Les

I only have one port hear, maybe this will help.

Mach3 port 1 is set to 0x387 as default.

Go to win  Start bottom left click on it, click on Control Panel, then System, Select Hardware, then Device Manager, click on + next to Ports (COM & LPT), then DBL click on ECP Printer Port(  LPT1), then Resources.

I think the first address on the blue IO is your Lpt 1 port address, Enter that address in Mach3 Config, Ports & Pins, Port #1, Port Address window.

Hope this Gets It, Chip

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 10:18:39 AM »
Run the file SpecialDriver.bat in the Mach3 root directory.

Whacko
Nothing's impossible
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 11:30:53 AM »
Thanks for all the helpfull information. I have the machine rolling now.
One other question, my X axis is dual steppers direct mount rack and pinion style. Is there any benefit to slaving the A axis in Mach rather than using the same step/direction pins?
Right now both controllers are wired to the same pin on the DB-25 plug and I have noticed a large error when cutting circles.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 12:09:20 PM »
Hi Les,
According to the "Mach 2 mill set-up .pdf", 4.6.6, page 4-11.
Each motor receives the same step and dir. signals. But they both have their own home/ referencing switch which allows them to reference individually to correct for any "racking" from lost steps by either motor for whatever reason.
Check it out. It's a pdf that is protected... I'd copy and paste but it won't let me.
Seasons Greetings,
RC
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 12:43:34 PM »
Thanks for the pointers RC. I downloaded that manual you listed above and have found in very usefull.
Am I correct in the assumption that for my 4x8 foot router that I should have the homing switches located in the middle of X,Y axis travel? I would assume that this should give me the most accurate machine movement over its length of travel.
Also, since I will have to order some more proximity sensors and opto isolator relays is there a better place than Automation Direct?
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 12:57:36 PM »
From what I have gathered,( I'm relatively new at this), is that your home switches should be at the extreme end of the axis travel.
Two switches actually, one at each end of the travel as limits and one of them doubles as the home switch.
The home only comes into play when you reference the machine. No benefit by putting the home in the center of travel.   Then you would need 3 switches per axis.
Auto. Direct is pretty good stuff for the money.
I'd use good quality snap action limit switches over inductive prox switches. They are more repeatable and not subject to variations like prox or photo sensors are.
Good luck to ya Les,
RC

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 01:02:58 PM »
It is often advantageous to have separate home switches if you have a large axis movement such as a router table as it means you will not have to move to an extreme to reference. The disadvantage is that it will take up an extra Input for every separate switch you have.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 01:07:22 PM »
Excellent point Hood, I'll make a note of that.
Les did say 8', the long axis on my rig is only 8".
Have a good holiday and thanks for all of your help,
RC