Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:16:23 AM

Author Topic: setting up cammera and laser  (Read 56803 times)

Re: setting up cammera and laser
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2009, 09:48:18 AM »
Hello Sid,

> IMHO,  even though the plugin is not 'perfected',  it is really pretty damn good at doing what it supposed
> to do.  I do have a list of things I have noticed that are 'funky'  but so far, I have been able to find ways to
> work around most of the issues.  Hopefully others will see this also when they start generating clouds.

Try Scan3d, my new Open Source 3d Video Probe plugin.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,10959.msg68643.html#msg68643

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »
Hi Tom,  I just found this thread and am very interested in scanning 3D images but have yet to get set up for that.  What would you use to edit the images once they are scanned?
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 10:21:29 AM »
Hi Tom,  I just found this thread and am very interested in scanning 3D images but have yet to get set up for that.  What would you use to edit the images once they are scanned?

Hello GAWnCA,

I would like the answer to that one myself. My area of expertise is the optics.

I use Rhino to show the point cloud but have not had time to go beyond that. I figure the folks that work with touch probes should have a solution to share. Maybe you should start a new topic to search for point cloud to something-or-other converters.

Art was working on Mach Cloud to convert point cloud files to more CNC friendly files but I never could get that to work. Point spacing might have been a problem. Also, Art used metric for his demos and I used imperial for my data. Could be a mismatch of some sort there.

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net 
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 10:35:14 AM »
Are you able to create a file with the point clouds.  I guess I need to set up so I can play around with your plugin and the hit up Art to see where he's going with his project. 

Thanks,
Greg
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2009, 10:51:45 AM »
Are you able to create a file with the point clouds.  I guess I need to set up so I can play around with your plugin and the hit up Art to see where he's going with his project. 

Thanks,
Greg

Hello Greg,

Scan3d creates 3 files. There is no provision yet for making up the file names yourself.

Scan3d.ini is used to save the setup and values for the plugin.

IIRC Scan3d.pts is raw data used for calibration. I won't swear to the full name but it is Scan3d.something-or-other.

Scan3d.xyz is the point cloud created during the scan. Rename it to save it.

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2009, 10:57:26 AM »
Cool,  I'll have to start playing here as soon as some of the Honey-Do list goes down.