Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:20:35 PM

Author Topic: Photos of webcam scanner. ( no laughing.. :) )  (Read 67444 times)

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Re: Photos of webcam scanner. ( no laughing.. :) )
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 08:35:43 PM »
Hi :

Cant promise, but Ill likely have a test of somethign out in a week or two.. Im still playing with statistics..

Art
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 08:57:21 PM »
Looking forward to it, and since the touchless scanning is one of my biggest wishes for a CNC ( the David software doesn't count, too difficult to set up) looks like it's time to buy a full version of your wonderful little program!

ATB
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 03:09:43 AM »
Very cool Art....

Do you have an idea of it's potential range. I have an application that would really benefit from a function like this, though I have a 2 to 4 foot distance to my subject. I suppose the graininess of the laser would start to become an issue.

The versatility of your software continues to amaze me.

buck

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 06:53:32 PM »
Buck:

Should work to any distance, but small items will get lost , the closer you are the better , but too close and the laser line gets fuzzy, I use some
filtering to calcuate the center of even fuzzy laser lines, ( the red line shows center of line offset from the white raw data, but Im not sure of the total
spec of it, Ive only run a few hndred scans, overall, they keep getting better, still lots to do yet though.. complex stuff, Ill take a few days break from it now..wait to
see what others get for results..

Art
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 12:00:33 PM »
Hi Art,

I like what you are doing, BUT (don't you just love that word, BUT?)  how about setting up the scanner so that it's not connect to a CNC machine, so the scanning can be done in another room or office and then transfered to the MACH machine?  Fully automated and scanning in a vertical plane rather than a horizontal.  A single axis or 2 axis (for rotation) would be great!  Also, what do you think about using 2 lasers at say 45* angles of each other to get more detail?

Just some thoughts I had.

Greg

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 12:11:37 PM »
Hi Greg:

Id checkout the David scanner for that kind of thing. My interest was more on getting the CNC to do the scanning.. Meshing is the bitch, I now have meshes, but its not yet ready to release.. :) Soon I hope, I work on it every day and Im getting some amazing nice images, but it all takes too much tweaking for my like..

Art
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 12:18:57 PM »
Art,

I was just thinking about how to keep it all away from the dirt and dust that might be around the CNC machine.  I've looked at David and if your plug-in will do the same thing, no need to do the David thing.  What are you using for the mesh CAM software?

Greg

p.s.  As always, thanks for your speedy reply.  You're the MAN!!!

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 01:10:32 PM »
Greg:

For meshing, Im using MachCloud, which now does meshing, and stl file saving, just trying to make it work reliably now..

Art
:)
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 12:09:29 PM »
Greg:

For meshing, Im using MachCloud, which now does meshing, and stl file saving, just trying to make it work reliably now..

Art
:)

Now, is that what you are working on for scanning and plugs into MACH?

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 12:17:58 PM »
Hi:
  No, the scanner is a plugin, MachCloud will be a free utility to process point clouds to stl files so you can run them in VCarve or Meshcam to generate toolpaths from scanned points. The point scanner plugin is out already, but my next job is to celan that up some..

Art