Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:47:50 AM

Author Topic: MACH as a CMM machine  (Read 9946 times)

vmax549

MACH as a CMM machine
« on: November 07, 2007, 06:43:21 PM »
I have been working up ideas and code for a CMM page for mach. I need to know if you have any special things you would like to see MACH do as a CMM type machine.( Coordinate measurement machine).

It could do things like probe a hole and set center of circle and give you the diameter.

G68 CR based on the use of a probe to set a vise, or between the COC of two holes, or from any axis plane ,etc

Length between two points and a return to center . 

Just need some more input.(;-) TP

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: MACH as a CMM machine
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 10:12:17 PM »
It all sounds good to me. A tool length measuring option would be nice I think. A calibration routine would be as well. 

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

vmax549

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 07:21:35 AM »
Brett if you give me a list of EVERYTHING you could even imagine you would want I will work on it. I already have a LARGE collection of G31 macros running to do daily work ,just need to clean them up and write a maunal . After using them daily it is hard to image working without them.

Examples:    The auto tool setting page allows you to check your tooling against a master or gauge tool and sets the tool up in the tool table for you. So when you begin a program you would set each of your tools needed for the job with the ATS and insure your tool table matches your tooling. Just have to remember short tool, long tool so you do not run out of Z travel for offsetting(;-)

CALPRB             Calibrate the probe against a known diameter at the intended probing speed to ensure its  accuracy.   Then update the probe tip offset value in settings. 

COC with diameter     Goes to the center of the hole and reports the hole diameter.  Great for finding out what diam a hole pattern is

CRG31        Auto sets the Coordinate rotation on an axis, allows quick setups of the vise,part or fixture for a program run

CR,COC    Sets the CR from the center of two holes.    USED mainy on fixture setups to rotate the program to the fixture. Once a fixture is made we set it up to machine and then bore two holes along a plane. Then all you have to do to align the fixture is do a COC in both holes and rotate the program  to the fixture.

COSKW    Find the center of a shaft to cut a keyway

COSS    Find the center of the end of a stub shaft

CoX+     Find the center of two edges in the X+ axis and return to center and report distance

ETC,ETC

(;-) TP

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 07:28:39 AM by vmax549 »
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 01:13:55 PM »
Hi Terry,

Is this page going to be dedicated to all different kinds of probing? I.e. array and the one Stirling is working on as well as the different probing wizards and the 3d plugin? Can you give us an idea of how it's going to work?

Push a button type and get a function type of screen?

Mike

vmax549

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 03:22:42 PM »
MIke in my world, 2.5d milling these functions are called up from G&M codes. So first we get the functions transfered over to the MACH system of things(most are already) Then we create either PAGES or WIZARDS to suit what is needed. That way they can be used as programs items, or used in the converstional method such as wizards or pages.

I have left the idea with RON at NFW but don't know if he is going to take on any new projects.

It can be whatever anybody needs it to be  NOT JUST FOR MILLING. I like your idea for a boundary survey to set up a 3d probing routine. MAKES a lot of sense to not waste time probing empty space.

We also need to work on a process that lets users process a 3d points file to Gcode WITHOUT another outside program. I have done small projects with success.  A probed copy of the object came out machined looking just like the object from a 2.5d/3d combination perspective.

It really is two different worlds we are talking about . There is the CMM function of measurements and functions and creating CNC programs from vectored dimensions from the basic 4 axis

AND the 2.5/3d Shape profiling that deals with outlines and 3d surfaces. It can include all 4 basic axis as well

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 08:39:01 PM »
Hi,Terry

I asked this question sometime back, Example, A windshield laid flat on a water jet cutter table..

Is there a way Mach3 can follow a X,Y path, set to pick-up Z value (set to probe at X Y move distance  say .250) and incorporate it into a new file with X Y Z moves.

Need to trim off some excess edges, on some (one off) curved shapes 2 x 4 feet, plasma, Water-jet ?.

Any Thoughts Ideas ??

Thanks, Chip

vmax549

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 10:48:07 AM »
I can thnik of several ways off the top of my head. One woul dbe to use an array to gather the boundary of the objet then use an encoding dial indicator and run the boundary at a set resolution(distance per step) and gather the height info from the encoding indicator on the fly so to speak.

MACH's new Brains gives us a lot of power in the Data Aquisition Dept we just need to learn to exploit it .

The other option would be to gather the bondary and  offsett to the inside a set amount then reprobe the boundary to gather the z data for the water jet to follow to maintain the proper head height as it cuts. The trick is it you probe in a preset order then the points file will cut it exactly as you probed it.

(;-) TP

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 07:17:26 PM »
Hi , Terry

Thanks for the thaught's, Brain's will be the answer one way or the other.

Thinking about an independent Z up down system with an encoder or switches to follow hight, Like plasma auto hight control's have.

Really need something on the fly.

Thanks, Chip

vmax549

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 07:35:43 PM »
OK so use the plasma height controll setup and instead of monitoring the arc voltage level use a sliding reohstat mounted at the head to follow the contour height and generate a variable voltage based on the voltage level as a height input then MACH can adjust it similar to the way it does with plasma. ON THE FLY.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 11:31:14 PM »
Hi , Terry

Need to look in to that also, Have a plasma cutter, Need to make a bracket for the WJ and set it up.  A two for one deal.

Thanks, Chip