Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:19:10 AM

Author Topic: ESS 2.83 With C 53 encoder input board Mach 4  (Read 1019 times)

ESS 2.83 With C 53 encoder input board Mach 4
« on: March 19, 2023, 01:19:33 PM »
Hi All,
Has anyone had luck with using the C53 to read back glass scales? in Mach 4
to be clear I am Not looking for closed loop feedback, currently I only use the motors to
my mill is not quite up for a full CNC conversion, as such I am only interested in getting the scales to read correctly.

I am getting readings, though I don't see an input for the scale Index, I've got A and B mapped to aux 1 encoder input in the MPG tab.
and am viewing changes both in the diagnostic window in the encoder tab as well as the current positions window, but I can't get them to scale correctly.

I'm just a bit out of my depth here, I have also seen an installation file on the cnc4pc website for the c53, though there's no support manual, and I can't figure out if I need it or where it would go, the file extensions are for Mach 3 I think, and don't seem to be something I would just drop in a folder

I understand if one or both of these things are causing my issues, I've just hit a wall.

-Peter
Re: ESS 2.83 With C 53 encoder input board Mach 4
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 10:08:04 AM »
Hi All, I'm guessing based on the lack of replies no one is using the C53 in Mach 4 for scales?

I didn't quite explain my situation very well in my last post. I'm hoping to get the scales as inputs in Mach 4 so I can make some parts for the CNC conversion.
the scales will not be needed after the conversion is complete, at this point I am considering just buying a DRO and eventually moving it to my lathe or surface grinder after the mill conversion. though I was hoping to find a way to use Mach 4 with the scales, and run it on all the tools as I add functionality to each of them.

-Peter

Offline ryno3

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 09:24:19 PM »
I had a similar situation converting from Nach 3 to Mach 4,  USB smooth stepper to Ethernet.   Below is what Andrew from the Warp 9 forum helped me with.   My scales are working but I still need to add code to zero them manually.   

You mapped them correctly to the ESS pins, but I would change the alias names to show the port/pin numbers, and I would also have them count 0, 1, 2 instead of 1, 2, 3 since Mach4 has you X motor start with 0 instead of 1. This will make it MUCH less confusing in the long term.

For the input signals, again, make it go from 0, 1, 2 instead of 1, 2,3

In the Mach config -> Aux positions, assign ESS encoders 0, 1, 2 and the count values. You can grab on the column line and slide it over to make the column wider.

Now everything is configured, and you need to modify your screen set. Do you want the A, B, C DROs below to show the encoder values? I would think that would be the easiest. If so, I would change the button labels on the left to show X Enc, Y Enc, Z Enc, and then set those three DROs to Motor 0 Aux, Motor 1 Aux, Motor 2 Aux....
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 09:12:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply
I already managed to get output to the DRO in Mach 4, I've tried various values in the " Counts Per Detent " box, with no helpful outcome.
attached are a couple screen shots that might explain my setup. I'm also still confused by not finding the index input for the encoder.

-Peter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 06:08:54 PM »
Hi,
if I'm not mistaken the Aux Encoders are all reported in encoder counts not units. You would have to do a calculation to convert encoder counts to
distance units.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline ryno3

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 08:06:48 PM »
I originally transitioned everything from Mach 3 to Mach 4 exactly like it was setup in working,  I couldn't get the readout from the glass scales to work at all.    I reached out on the warp 9 forum and Andrew had me send my profiles and basically had me change the setup to have the glass scale input configured as AUX motor encoders, they were setup in the MPG tab in Mach 3, I grabbed a couple screenshots of how they are pinned out and setup.     The scales on my mill are Accurite Model ENC 125T, the pulses per unit in the aux tab is set to 2540.      I haven't dived into creating the script to zero the scale readout and I also need to reconfigure how the encoder interface is setup as currently it utilizes the heartbeat signal from Mach and I'll have to hardwire something to allow it to be enabled with the servos off as my spindle control is wired to one of the outputs on that card as well.     The screen shots of how it is all configured are attached.

Offline ryno3

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 08:07:16 PM »
second pic

Offline ryno3

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 08:07:42 PM »
3rd pic

Offline ryno3

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 08:15:10 PM »
A screen shot of the program run/current positions is attached, I debated on adjusting home sensors until I could get the position to reset but highly doubt that mechanical switches would be repeatable enough to make that work.     If I power the machine off with the axis in weird positions the aux encoder feedback comes up as zero in that position.     I currently home the machine before power off and the mach estimated position and feedback from the aux encoders are within .005.     I agree with Craigs reply on my post, if the machine is good and your setup is right you really don't need the scales.     I wanted them for a manual function but normally have been using one of the mill wizard tools or the jog function.     I had debated about going with the Centroid all in one DC control which is a true closed loop and would be able to utilize their provided motor encoders and the glass scale feedback.    Right now, I don't think it's worth it, if my situation changes or I have some extra cash lying around I might explore that as I think it would be more reliable.   
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 09:50:31 PM »
Hi,

I had debated about going with the Centroid all in one DC control which is a true closed loop and would be able to utilize their provided motor encoders and the glass scale feedback.    Right now, I don't think it's worth it, if my situation changes or I have some extra cash lying around I might explore that as I think it would be more reliable.   

To be honest I don't think that is the way to go. It has become increasingly rare for a controller to accept feedback from a glass scale. The old standards like Galil and Dynamotion are joined by
a few recent ones like the Centroid Oak.....but they are a dying breed.

If you want to use a glass scale to close the position loop then buy a servo that can do so, for example a Delta A2. It has a regular 20 bit rotary encoder to close the velocity and torque
loops but a secondary encoder, for example  a glass scale, to close the position loop. No need to spend big dollars on a feedback capable controller when the servo drive can do it...and so much
better and without the complication. A 750W Delta A2 costs $640USD whereas the 750W B2 (which does not have the secondary encoder feature) is $438USD, so you do pay a premium but still way cheaper
than a Galil or whatever.

All the top servo manufacturers have models with this feature, it often called 'load sensing', that is it senses the position of the load or axis. They do command a premium but they sure 'put
a horn on a jellyfish'.

Craig
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:52:46 PM by joeaverage »
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'